Prologue

Prologue

"Hey Jake?" the soft voice which belonged to my sister Angie echoed in my ears. She clutched my arm tightly as we lay on her hospital bed, just staring at the ceiling.

The air conditioner was blasting away making her shiver with each blow of the air on her skin. She tugged at sides of her blanket, trying hard to keep herself warm. I, in turn hugged her from her sides to give her some warmth.

"Yeah?" I finally replied and I glanced at Angie. Her skin was paler than just three months ago. The bright sun kissed skin from last year was gone.

"They're not here, are they?"

"They're busy. You know them."

"No, I know. There's no need." She said disappointment clear in her voice.

I could not help but feel hateful. Hateful at them. At the people I am supposed to call my parents. How could they not be here? How could they not be by their daughter's side when she was suffering?

"Jake?" I heard Angie's voice again.

"What is it?" I answered looking at the expression on her little face.

"I'm just glad you're here" she says with a small smile. It's the first time in a long time that I've seen my sister's genuine smile. Whenever I see it, it's like sunshine that just warms my insides. I felt teary-eyed.

I kiss Angie's forehead and adjust the bandana on her head. The bandana that now covers the spot where there used to be flowing brown hair.

I pull back and grin at her. "I'll always be here"

After Angie finally fell asleep. I quietly slide my feet off the bed and walk to exit the room. But before doing so, I make sure Angie is properly tucked in and I put more blankets around her in case she feels cold again.

 I silently close the door and instantly breathe in the smell of sanitizer that's always present in hospitals. I hate this smell and I hate this place. Endless white walls and tiles that just spread out all the way containing you here. Making you feel imprisoned.

I could not blame my little Angie for hating it here.

I check my phone for a while but to no avail, not a single message at all. Not one from my dad or my mom.

They've been like this ever since the day my mom found my dad with his secretary which was 2 years ago. After that they stopped talking to us and instead started yelling at each other. Then after a while, they stopped caring about us and then eventually they forgot how to be parents, you know? It was like they never married and they never had children. But they do, they need to know that they do.

I slipped my phone into my pocket out of frustration and walk towards wherever my feet would take me. If I could just walk out of this life and take Angie with me, I would.

I silently prayed, though I don't really think I believe in God anymore, for this nightmare to be over.