Chapter One

"Attention personal everyone leaving for the expedition please report to the hanger at 0900." Finally I have a chance to leave this damn base. I have always have hated military bases. It's 7 am so i know i have about 2 hours to finish my packing and get dressed in my cold weather gear after all we are in just barely in Alaska. Oh i forgot to introduce myself I'm Dr. Astrya Hailey Jackson. Yes as many of you are thinking I am Dr. Daniel Jackson's sister but only by 2 minutes. We are both Linguists but i also an a crypt-analyst. I'm currently on my way to join in at Ancient outpost that we found.

     I finally finished packing and getting dressed. I grabbed all of the bags and headed to the hanger. There waiting was General Jack O'Neill. "Hey jack." I say to him very excited and to get his attention. "Hey Astrya. I'm going to guess your excited?" Jack said slash asked. I start to load my gear into the helicopter. "Oh, I'm very excited Jack I finally get to see Daniel after a year of him being here. Plus I've heard they had some very good news for us when we get there. So are you flying today or do we have our own pilot?" I said to Jack. "Yes always with the good news. No with the General status i got us our own pilot." Jack told me not sounding amused.

     After we finally get my 2 bags, backpack, and Jacks small carry on bag onto the helicopter our pilot joined us. "Okay so General O'Neil and Dr. Jackson you ready to be on your way to the outpost?" The pilot asked. "Yes Major Sheppard it's just the 2 of us." Jack said. We all got on the helicopter. I strapped in the my seat in the back of the helicopter. I put on the headphones and pulled the ancient journal that i had been translating and started to look over my notes. I apparently drowned out about 3 hours of talking between Jack and Major Sheppard.

    I came back into the real world to hear. "Apache, Blackhawk, Cobra, Osprey..." Major Sheppard said. "It's a lot of training for the Antarctic." Jack said. "It was the one continent I never set foot on." Sheppard said. "It's one of my least favorite continents." Jack said. "Jack that's only cause you don't like the cold. Get over that and you would see how nice and peaceful it is." I said to Jack. Jack looked behind his seat to me "no it's not that it's cold it's always too quiet." Jack said. "I kind of like it here." Sheppard told us. "You like it here? He likes it here." jack said looking at me. "Yes, sir. Be there in about ten minutes, sir and ma'am." Sheppard told us. "Thank you Major Sheppard." I thanked Sheppard. I start to put my books away when all of a sudden a technician said over the radio "All inbound craft, we have a rogue drone that could seek a target on its own. Land immediately and shut down your engines. This is not a drill. I repeat." "It's too late. Hang on." Sheppard said. Sheppard barely avoids the drone that streaks around the helicopter twice, locking onto the helicopter as a target. "Break right!" Jack said really loud. Sheppard dodges the drone again by flying higher and to the left. "I said, right!" Jack said. "I'm getting to that, sir." Sheppard said.

     Sheppard looks through his windows searching for the drone. "I can't see it." Sheppard said. "Pull up. Pull up!" Jack said sharply.The helicopter barely misses a mountain ridge then dives down underneath the erratic path of the drone. "What about now?" Jack asked. "Now's good." Sheppard said. "What! What do you mean now?!" I asked. The helicopter skims over the surface. The drone piles into the snow. The helicopter itself lands on a flat surface. "Shut it down!" Jack screamed. Sheppard turned off the helicopter. "Sir, what the hell was that?" Sheppard asked. Holding up his hand jack said "Wait for it." They watch and wait. A few seconds later, the drone bursts out of the snowbank, still at high speed, and heading straight for the helicopter. "Get out!" Sheppard screamed. All 3 of us scramble out of the helicopter. I belly-flop into the snow. Jack just kind of slides on his ass. The drone powers down and slides to a stop mere inches away from me. All 3 of us warily reenter their helicopter. "That was different." Sheppard says to us. "For us, not so much." Jack said.