i | 𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧𝘪𝘴𝘩

"at the early age of nine, an orphan from glory bell unexpectedly finds out the secret of the orphanage.

"the report says she's a top scorer and a premium quality.

"according to the mother of the farm, the child hasn't done anything suspicious. she's also been recommending the child to run as a mama.

"what should we do about this issue?"

× × ×

i have no plans of escaping. but at the same time, i don't want to die. if that makes sense.

what lies on the other side of the wall is a cliff. in that distance and depth, it made me realize that there really is no escape, just like what mama said.

"you can't leave, (y/n). no matter what you do, you can never escape this place."

i frowned, hearing mama's voice in my mind.

there must be a way out of this place. there should be.

i haven't done any research, nor have i told my siblings about the secret. i was afraid they wouldn't believe me, or worse, they won't be able to take it.

i admit. i loved mama. i love everyone else in the orphanage.

i was shocked too, in fact, i can't even explain the feeling. i feared the fact that i'll end up like them too. shipped out, and eaten by those monsters.

so everything was just a lie? this is not an orphanage, is this?

a farm. demons. mama as the shepherd, and us kids as the sheep.

but sadly, i couldn't do anything about it. like i said, i'm just a child just like everybody else.

× × ×

"mama, you called me?" i asked, taking a peek from mama's door.

mama shuffled a bit from her sit, took the quill pen from the small container of ink then wrote something on the paper that rests on the table.

"take a seat, (y/n)," she pointed to the nearest chair in front of her.

closing the door, i walked towards the designated seat-"did you go to the gate last shipment?" for a short while, mama gave me an intimidating look.

in sudden shock, i remained standing in place.

how did she know?

"m-mama?"

i was shivering. i was so scared, i couldn't say another word. i lost my composure, now i'm exposed, right in front of mama.

why am i not doing anything?

"my dear (y/n)," mama stood up from her seat, "you poor, poor thing. you must've been so scared!" the creaking of the chair as it was pushed backwards was followed by a series of footsteps towards my direction.

the next thing i know is that i was enveloped on the arms of our caretaker.

"those demons, you saw them didn't you? oh my, oh my. you must've been so devastated," she combs my hair with her hand, tucking small strand behind my ear as she lifts my chin up.

fear was evident on my face, and mama can clearly see it. i can even hear my pulse, but i almost feel like my heart isn't beating at all.

she hugs me tight, and drew circles on my back.

"(y/n), my dear. will you do whatever it takes to escape your fate?"

× × ×

that night was my last night in glory bell.

my shipment was so sudden that i have little to no time to say goodbye to my siblings.

"become a mama. that way you won't have to worry about your nearing shipment."

mama's words echoed through my mind. i was taken aback. to think that mama would propose a deal like that.

but if i were to accept it, will my siblings be okay? will they ever know the truth?

my thoughts are going haywire whenever i think about them. when i think about how selfish my decision is.

in order to survive, i accepted her proposal.

in order to live longer, i have to accept her proposal.

the gate opened and an older woman stood there waiting for us on the other side. behind her was two creatures i couldn't identify.

"she's special. a very special child," mama stated, and i can barely stand as time passes by. every word, every syllable, everything she has to say, it all makes me feel very weak.

fear and terror took all over my body. i looked up at mama innocently then to the older woman right in front of me, unable to utter a single word.

"(y/n), you don't have to worry about escaping," she whispers, the warmth of her breath can be felt on my nape. "see?" mama held my shoulders, leaning a bit closer to my ear, "this is grandma. starting today, she'll be the one who will take care of you."

the older woman- grandma -smiled a bit then stretched her hand as if she's asking me to take it, "welcome, dearest (y/n)," she paused for a bit, "your mama told me so much about you."

pure happiness etched her wrinkled face. the more i look at her face, the more i feel nauseated.

it was scary, those hands, i feel like if i take this choice, something bad will happen.

come to think of it, is this even right? is what i'm about to do the best choice?

my mouth stretched to a small, timid smile, "hello, grandma," without stuttering, i managed to call her.

i took her hand and looked back at mama with worrisome eyes.

"that's right. you said you want to be like me, didn't you?" mama said once again as she guide me towards grandma's side.

i feel sick. i want to cry. i want to scream.

she gave me one last smile as a goodbye before turning her back from me.

this is it. there's no turning back. i have to accept my fate.