He doesn’t respond for the longest time. He finally clears his throat and turns to me.

            “I was thinking of what to ask my dad…I was going to ask him why he preferred Henry and Hanna to me. And then I realized that he was a screw-up father to me…what if I’m a screw up too? That’s all I know! And your father was a screw up too! What chance does our kid have?”

I pull him down, till his head is on my lap. I slowly run my fingers through his thick hair.

            “Hay, everything will be fine,” I promise him. “My adoptive father was amazing as is everyone else in my family. I’m not afraid. And you have an amazing mother. We’ll be okay,” I insist. “Elena will be okay.”

            “I hope so,” he whispers, biting on his lip.

Who would have thought Haden would doubt himself? And all this time, I was worried about being a horrible mum compared to him!

I kiss his forehead lightly.

            “We’ll learn together, okay?” I promise him.

He smiles a little.

            “Deal. But you do dirty diapers,” he bargains.

Oh like hell I’m letting him get off poo duty!

            “No way! I have to feed her! You deal with changing her!” I mutter.

Haden chuckles, sitting up.

            “It’s hardly my fault you’re the mother. I can’t exactly breastfeed her, can I?” he teases.

I roll my eyes at him.

I’ll let it drop for now, but I’m not letting Haden just play with his baby. He’s got to help me with her too!

            “Come on, Skye, let’s go confront our crazy fathers,” Haden sighs, holding his hand out for me.

I take it eagerly and the both of us head out of the palace compound.

***

It feels like we’ve been walking forever! I’ve had to resist the urge to make Haden give me a piggyback ride.

            “Are we almost there yet?” I whine.

Haden chuckles under his breath.

            “No, love. Soon though,” he assures me.

That’s what he said last time!

            “I’m pregnant and have swollen ankles!” I mutter, grabbing his arm to slow him down. Haden is really tall, so his strides are longer than mine! “Slow down!”