Happiness and Sadness

Start from the beginning

When Nathan returned, things went the opposite of how I wanted. We argued, and he said statements that were nearly identical to what you said to me. "I didn't want this. I didn't ask for this. Why are you so intent on making me miserable?!"

I didn't see my action as wrong, but he continued to yell at me. I had even played the recording of her words that I caught in the hallway. He only shouted that I had forced her to say those things, that I had forced myself on her. He couldn't be reasoned with, and he refused to see the true character of the deceased distraction.

He proceeded to return my gift with that of partial death. When I went to console him, I fell to the ground in agony. It was beyond physical pain, as though the very essence of my being was being torn at the seams. My body, mind and emotions were being stabbed by thousands of invisible needles.

I had to watch in horror as my body disintegrated into nothingness before my eyes. Stripped bare, I was thrown into a cage. My spirit trapped between life and death for eternity. I can never move onto what lies after death because I am forever attached to this world. Even if the earth were to vanish, I would still be stuck in the universe, floating in the void of what was once the earth.

That, my little doe, is what occurred five years ago.

Silence fell over them both. The writing utensil had fallen to the page flat, but the cold air remained. She didn't know how to respond. On one end she wanted to be even farther away from Drem, but she felt that the fault didn't fall on him entirely. Sure, he had killed Evelyn, but Nathan and she led him to that point. Of course, he could have handled the situation differently, but she couldn't despise him for what he did either.

If Drem could really tell true fortunes and Nathan knew that, it was the antique collector's fault for not believing Drem. Evelyn had only provoked Drem more, through her cheating ways, making the situation escalate more. Did she sympathize with Drem? Yes, he had to endure watching his long time crush date a cheater. Personally, she wouldn't be able to do nothing either, but she would have walked out on the situation.

Even if she did feel bad for him, her feelings for him hadn't progressed to love. Rather, she was on neutral grounds with him, and maybe he was adorable at times, but she couldn't forgive him yet. Perhaps, by the end of her stay, she could forgive him.

Right now, it was more her finally being able to understand why he had been so violent that past week. After the incident, he had probably become enraged at what Nathan had done to him, and that anger had been allowed to grow for five years. So, when he was freed, she was the only person around that he could vent it out on.

Was this acceptable? No, it wasn't, but it was understandable. That's why she could be on neutral terms with him. He had been sealed in that clock for so long, and Nathan had probably ignored him. The loneliness that he had felt must have been unbearable at times. So after his anger had been quelled to some degree, after she had spoken a similar phrase to Nathan's, he realized that he could find a second chance in her.

Could she become his second chance? It was unlikely. Would she consider it? Well, she was thinking about it now, but she was still processing everything that he had written out for her. H*ll, her mind was trying to wrap around the concept that Nathan had supposedly destroyed Drem's body and sealed the male in a clock. It wasn't like she could deny it, given everything that had happened to her.

"Drem, will you explain how you're able to tell fortunes, and how Nathan is capable of such things?"

Tomorrow, I will. Right now, I want you to sleep on what I told you, and I want a break. Everything that happened back is rolling on a film, and I need some time before I say anything else. So, have a good rest, my little doe.

The coldness in the air lessened, and the pen lay motionless. She heard the garage door open and close. (F/n) wondered if he would be crying if he still had his body. In the back of her mind, she knew that would be the case. He just had to relive the worst moments of his life, and she could only imagine the amount of emotions that were wracking his mind.

Moving off of the couch, she picked up her dishes and took them to the sink. After she completed washing them, she headed to her room for the night. She simply lied in bed on her back and looked up at the ceiling. (F/n) replayed what Drem had told her in her head and pictured the scenes in the ceiling's paint.

With time, she fell into the arms of sleep, not aware of what Drem was doing. He was working on carving the wood into that of a doll, but he had another focus in mind now. Fabric lay across the table, while the scissors, needle and thread were at work. The first tries had been unsuccessful, but he was making progress.

His energy was still drained, however, but even more so now. The feeling of water cascaded down his face, as he worked. He didn't reach up to feel it, thinking that it was only an illusion of his mind. Instinctively, though, he did reach up at one point to wipe the feeling away.

This action caused him to realize that it wasn't a fantasy of his. Legitimately, he was crying. With shock he wiped another drop away and looked to his fingers. There was indeed a bead of water present on them.

Blinking a few times, he thought back to his changed plan, and a new sense of happiness washed over him. It cleared away the negativity from his story and gave him hope. Nathan hadn't truly deprived him of that one thing.