Chapter 1: Changeover

I can't believe that this is happening to me. All this time, I thought I was just sick, but it wasn't it all along. To all the other women that has experienced this type of situation in their lives, why am I a part of it now? I mean, I still have a life to get in control of. I finally got the job I wanted, have better friends than the ones that stabbed me in the back for who knows how long, and a good relationship with my husband. But things with him is not going so well for a while, ever since our last argument a few weeks ago. And now, I have a bigger problem. This kind of problem might, or worse, would change me for the rest of my life as I speak.

I put my important stuff in my purse as I gazed at the clock in my bathroom. It was time for me to go see my two friends. But one of them is my boss, but only when we are both doing our jobs. Luckily, his wife and I used to go to highschool together. So, this was a good shot of getting the job that I wanted for me. Me and my boss's wife go way back when we were both freshmen. We had some classes together and I would help her out with some class assignments, or homework to help her get some good grades she deserved to have. We talked a lot after school and sometimes sleep over each other's homes. Those were the good ol days that I missed so much. After we both graduated, I lost connection to her and never saw her again. She was my only best friend and she meant a lot to me like she was a little sister, since I found out that I was a year older than her. If only I could see her and know how she was doing.

Years have past now and I have been looking for the job that I truly yearned for. But it was a tough hassle to get. I have tried with all my might to get it, but surprisingly, it have not worked. I thought my life would be all over since I couldn't make my future goal come to a reality. As my days go by, I have been called for an important meeting. And being me, I didn't think what was the meeting all about. As of my surprise again, I have been promoted to being the assistant of one of the most important scientist. I was quite happy to have the job that the professor would lend me a ear and listen to my opinions of the projects were have assigned to do.

One day, the professor and I was really hungry as it was time for a break. I told him that I would be right back. He asked me if I see a woman with a lunch bag, I had to tell her the directions of getting here. I assisted. As I went to the main entrance, I stop in my place as I saw the woman. Yes, she was holding the lunch bag, but she looked very much like old friend from highschool. She looks around and sees me. She walks up to me and asks me a question I was expecting.

"Excuse me, do you work here?"

"Yes, yes I do."

"Ok. Do you know how to get this,"

She holds up the bag, which has his name on it. So that's his first name.

"To him? He forgot his lunch again."

"Sure. Just go up the elevator, press the 17th floor, and make a right to the end of the door."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

She smiles and walks away. But in my gut, I had to ask her a few more questions at least.

"Wait! Miss."

She stop at her tracks and turns around. I walked up to her.

"How do you know the professor? If you don't mind answering."

"Oh, he's actually my husband. Happily married for almost a year now."

"Oh, ok."

"Is that all?"

"I have one more."

I took a deep breath. I was a little nervous that this would not be true, but this might be my only chance to know.

"Do you remember a girl named Yurina? Highschool?"

"Yurina?"

She thinks for a moment.

"Yes I have. She's my best friend. Well, used to be. I haven't seen her in years. But I know she's doing ok."

"Do you ever wonder where she might be right now?"

"Yes. I sometimes think that she has that special job she wanted when we were teens. She was something."

"I bet so."

"Kind of think of it, how do you know her?"

I smiled happily.

"You see, Yurina is actually me."

She looked confused at first, but then she puts the missing puzzles together. She gasps and put her hands to her mouth.

"Yurina?"

I nodded rapidly. She shouts my name again and gives me big hug. I laughed with tears in my eyes. I can't believe that after all these years, my old best friend would be in front of me again. But for now on, I need to keep my head up high and look forward to the future as I live on.

We all became good friends afterwords. We sometimes go out to eat together, hang out at their home, or mines, etc. My life was just perfect. But some things have changed. Especially me. I met a guy. He is a very nice guy. He doesn't work at the same place with me. We hang out when my boss and his wife were busy, or having some alone time with each other. We talked a lot and laughed at our jokes until finally, I said yes. I just never thought that my life would never be broken by anything. Nothing could ever replace this.

But I was a fool.

The love of my life has been keeping secrets from me. He lies to me. He talks bad things about me. And worse, we start to argue. And right now, I kicked him out for the second time. I'm starting to think that this relationship is coming to a close. I'm deciding on if I should do my first ever divorce with him. I can't take the painful feeling of knowing he's doing unforgivable things out there when I'm at home, worrisome about him over and over again. But now, I have a bigger problem to worry about. I just need to talk to my boss's wife. She might help me. I think.

Lost in thought, I was snapped back in to reality by my friend.

"Are you ok?"

"I think so?"

"What do you mean?"

"Can I talk to you? Please?"

"Sure. Come on in."

I went inside and we both sit on the couch.

"Do you want something to drink?"

"No thanks."

"Ok."

She sits right next to me.

"What's wrong? You don't seem like yourself right now."

"You're right. And I don't think that I would ever be the same."

"What does that mean?"

"Me and Akifumi have been fighting for a while. And it's getting worse."

"Did you leave him?"

"No, I kicked him out again."

"I'm so sorry."

"It's alright, I guess."

She sighed and looked down to the ground. I hope that she would help me by saying this.

"But that's not the only problem."

She looks back up at me.

"It's not?"

I shook my head as a gesture of a no.

"Then, what is it? Whatever it is, I'm here for you. No matter what."

I hope so, because this is the most interesting experience that I have to face for now on. I sighed and finally spoke these words that will change everything.

"I'm pregnant."