Chapter 2

A/N: Hey guys. Hope everyone likes this story so far. I don't own Marvel, just so you know. I was listening to Sons of an Illustrious Father when I was writing this. Anyone else like that band?

"Hey, Cap," Clint called. "You might want to see this." The note of uncertainty in his friend's voice spurred him to get up from where he'd been drawing, tucked in a corner of the room. As he walked into their common room, the large television came into view. "Tony Stark Revealed to Have Been Abused by Father" was sprawled across the top of the screen in bold letters.

He felt a jolt of pure shock run through his body, drowning out all other sound. It was like he was enclosed in a bubble, separate from the outside world, his entire focus on the TV screen.

His bubble was quickly popped by the sound of his name being called and he spun towards Clint, fury prominent on his face. "Who published this story? Why are they telling such far-fetched lies on the news?"

"Uh, Steve..." Clint looked cautious as he spoke. "I'm not exactly sure this is a lie. I don't think Wakanda would allow fake news to broadcast like this."

Steve scoffed. "Of course it's a lie. Howard was my friend. I knew him. He would never abuse anyone."

"What's going on?" Sam entered the room, drawn by Steve's angered voice. He studied the news report as well, a crease forming between his brows.

Steve continued to rant, "They're reporting blatant lies on the news! I can't imagine how Stark is reacting. He must be devastated that these people are slandering his father's name in such a way!"

Sam looked uncertainly at Clint, who just shrugged. "Are you sure that it's a lie?" Sam asked him.

For a moment red clouded his vision completely. They were really questioning his judgement on this? He was the only one in this room who'd ever even met Howard. Shouldn't he know best?

Steve's breath was heavy as he ground out, "You are disrespecting a great man. Both of you. I'm disappointed. I really expected better of my friends." He let out a bitter laugh and strode from the room, his footsteps heavy with anger.

Wanda was drawn to the room by the yelling. "What the hell did you two do to make Steve so angry?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow. As soon as she saw the television, still blaring on about this new scandal, she became stock still, her forehead creasing. "Is this true?" she asked, eerily calm.

Sam and Clint exchanged glances. "We believe so," Sam replied.

Wanda shrugged. "Yeah, well, Stark's a bastard. Probably deserved everything he got from his father." Wanda said approvingly. They both gaped openly at her. Wanda just shrugged again with a smirk.

Steve felt anger surge in himself as he overheard his friends' conversation. Stark was never abused. He'd probably never faced a real challenge in his life. He was just a rich brat who didn't appreciated the struggles of living a normal life. He was selfish and arrogant and disrespectful. If Stark hadn't been so stubbornly certain that he was doing the right thing during the war between them, maybe he could've seen what was really going on and chosen the right side.

He knew that he needed to speak to Stark about this news report. Stark might be a terrible person, but he deserved to know that not everyone was believing the lies on the news. Maybe that fact would give him some comfort, because he was sure Stark probably wasn't handling this well. 

With his decision made, he drew the burner phone from where he'd stashed it in one of his drawers. His fingers trembled slightly as he scrolled down to Stark's number, but not from fear. From anger.

He knew it was ridiculous, considering he was the one calling Stark, but he couldn't help but be angry at him for putting Steve in this position. He knew that he could just not call, but Stark deserved this small comfort, if nothing else. He should be grateful that Steve was willing to put aside his justified anger for him.