Promise

Promise

“London?” I say in disbelief.

He sighs. “Yeah, London.”

“But if you go to London then that means, that means we’ll never be able to see each other.” My voice becomes really high pitched.

“No Ebony, not never. We’ll still be able to see each other it just means…” he runs his fingers through his messy hair. “It just means we’ll have to try a lo-“

I cut him off. “Long distance relationship, I know.”

“Yeah.”

There’s a moment of silence as he turns the corner into the school parking lot.

The roar of the engine comes to a hault.

He speaks first.

“Don’t worry Ebony, everything’s going to be fine.”

“I know, I’m just gonna miss you so much.” The lump that’s in my throat gets bigger.

I collapse into his arms and he holds me tight for a minute.

I sit up straight to look at the clock.

“The bells gonna go any second. We better get out of here.”

I clutch the door handle, ready to get out but he takes a hold of my arm to stop me.

“Wait.”

I turn to face him, he tucks a piece of hair behind my ear.

“Listen to me. Things are going to work out, and I will visit as often as I can, ok.”

He passionately kisses me for a brief moment.

“I love you so much.”

I can hear the intensity in his voice.

“I love you too.”

I kiss him once more, just before the bell.

We get out of the car and start making our way down to form.

“Jesse.”

“Yeah.”

“If this is your last week with me, then I’ll make it a very special one. I promise.” I say before walking into the class.

****************************************************************************************

It’s break and everyone’s really ecstatic about the end of school, except Amelia. She’s so paranoid that we’ll never see each other again. I keep telling her that it’s not true, but she still doesn’t believe me.

I start walking over to the bench when Sophie picks me up from behind and gives me the biggest bear hug ever.

“Heyya Soph.”

“Hey, are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m alright. You?”

“I’m, great. I can’t believe that it’s our last week of school and then we’re out of here.”

“I know right. I’m gonna miss you like, loads.”

“Me too, I mean the time has gone so fast. It seems like only last month we just started high school.”

“Well, we have to meet up anyway, like every other weekend or something.”

“Yepp. Oh and don’t forget prom, we’ll all see each other then too.”

“I know, I’m gonna cry on the last day.”

“Please don’t, then I’ll start.”

“I’ll try.” I giggle.

She wraps her arms around my waist and squeezes me so tight.

“Ok Soph, you can let go now.”

“Oh sorry.” she gives me the cutest smile. Sophie’s so adorable. “I love you Ebony.”

“Aww, I love you too.” I say grinning back. “I gotta go ok, I’ll see you later.”

“Bye.”

Thinking about it more now, I am going to miss everyone. These are my best friends, and I’ve known them for years. I think being a teenager is one of the most exciting parts of your life. And I think I’ve spent that part with some of the best people on the planet. Now I’m turning into a young adult. Nuh uh.