Not Out Of The Woods Yet

"Here you go, sweetie! Don't forget to take your medicine every night, and make sure you bring those roses home." That was the last thing the nurse taking care of me said. I was finally free of this smelly hospital. Blake had the box that was filled with my posters, dream catchers, and clothes. I was holding all the cards from the mysterious person. I looked over at the roses, this time they were pink and tied with a ribbon. The card that came with the roses said,

"Glad you're getting better. I can't wait to see you in person. I will shower you in love forever once we get to be together. I love you, my lover. I will always be looking out to find you XOXO" 

They would always include a nickname with each card. Every single one would make my knees feel weak and make me feel like I was on cloud nine. I woke up this morning with a big pink heart on the back of my hand with the word congratulations underneath. I want to see this mysterious person with all my heart. The way they wrote the notes made it seem like they were painting a picture with words. A beautiful masterpiece that showed the night sky in the person's eyes. I took a deep breath and looked around the room one last time. Blake nudged me with his elbow.

"Ready to say goodbye?" he asked cheerfully

I nodded and flicked off the lights one last time. While we took the elevator down one of the old men looked at the flowers.

"Those from your boyfriend? I remember being young and in love like that." He seemed to be honest and mean it with all his heart. I took a deep breath and started explaining. 

"They're from a secret admirer and I have no clue who they are. I just hope I get to see them soon." The old man chuckled and bid me farewell when we made it to our stop.

The receptionist gave me an inhaler. Because my lungs had been punctured they told me that doing everyday things like running might be a bit difficult for me to do without feeling out of breath. The inhaler was going to give me a leg up on the problem and help me find a solution to it. Of course, I might not grow out of asthma, like most patients who have it do, so the inhaler is a need. It was so much money. Blake brought me up on our family news. Mom and Dad got two jobs each to support me with my medicine, and Kara with her dance class. Blake got a job as well so he could save up for college. He found his soulmate, He has the red string while I have a lack of that string, her name is Claire and she lived in Australia before moving here. Blake put his hands on my head and told me to not lose hope in finding my soulmate. When he stopped the car we were in front of my favorite hairstylist. He smiled and flipped my hair behind my shoulder.

"You ready to get that mop off your head kiddo?" He chuckled afterward

I nodded and stepped out of the car "Ready as I'll ever be." 

We walked into the salon and I took a deep breath. The smell was intoxicating. Shampoo that smelled like cinnamon and strawberries, and the one that had the tang. I don't know how to describe it, but anyone who smelled Head & Shoulders knows what I am talking about. I loved getting the one with the tang. It smelled comforting and almost like I was home. Laura, the owner, walked up to me.

"Well if it isn't the famous Jay, the kid who bit the bullet and said no to death himself, how are you doing sweetheart? Will it be the usual?"

I smiled wide "I'm doing good Laura, and I will take the usual if it's not too much." 

She escorted me over to get my hair washed and we talked about the hospital a lot. She was sad that the walls were so drab and the lights were too harsh. After three or four minutes of her washing my hair, she took me over to her chair and chopped most of it off. It was styled with bangs in the front and incredibly short in the back, just how I liked it. She added a blood red stripe in my hair as a present and after 20 minutes of sitting under the dryer and washing, it was over. Blake paid for it and we both walked out together. Blake looked over at me and smiled.

"Why don't we celebrate your release with your favorite, Pocky and pop soda?" He was smiling wide.

I never smiled so wide in my life. Pop soda was what I called the Japanese soda that you have to pop to drink. It was my favorite, especially when paired with strawberry pocky. We drove to the nearest LaBonns and when I walked in I saw a boy. He was fairly tall with a big shoulder build, his hair was slightly longer than mine and framed his face perfectly. I felt my heart begin to flutter. When he looked over at me and we made eye contact I felt like I was in heaven. His face went red and he looked away. I smiled like a lovesick puppy. Who wouldn't when you looked at him? Blake put his hand in front of my eyes.

"Earth to Jay, We gotta find the Pocky and Orange Pop Soda, come on!!" I giggled nervously

"Sorry Blake, I got a bit distracted. It was the first time I felt butterflies in my stomach! Oh wow, it felt great." I leaned against him and he pushed me off

"Focus Romeo, Where is the pocky and pop soda?" I stood straight up and started walking. I went into the Asian aisle and grabbed a bottle of orange pop soda and strawberry pocky. Blake chuckled.

"You always know where these are." I laughed. 

When we walked to the register I was sad to see that the mysterious boy was gone. I never felt that sad in my life. Well, I was that sad when my skateboard's wheel popped off, but that's another story. Blake and I checked out and headed home. When we got there my arm started to itch and I looked down to see a message in my arm written in blue ink.

"Fate had its choices to allow me to see you out of the hospital. I hope we will see each other more cutie, I will see you more, I promise you. XOXO"

I gasped and dropped the pocky and Blake rushed to my side 

"What happened?!"