"More than likely in the Mortal Realm." he answered slowly, not sure how her mother would take that piece of information.  She had never left Qing Qiu in all her life, this was the first time ever, that she had left home without a word to anyone.

"The Mortal Realm?  What on earth is she doing there?" she asked stunned.  "Qian Qian has never left Qing Qiu, what would possess her to go there?" she asked, though more to herself.  

Zhe Yan watched The Empress's expressions closely, but she seemed to be more confused that angry that her daughter was suddenly missing, and being in the Mortal Realm should have gained him a berating for not telling her about her excursion sooner, but she merely gave him a confused look, which needed an immediate answer.

"I do believe she fled to the Mortal Realm to avoid her betrothed." he grinned at her. 

"What?" she asked turning on him.  "Why didn't you say something sooner Zhe Yan?  She could get hurt, you know how beautiful she is. She'll attract attention." she berated him harshly.

"Calm down, she's under disguise.  She just wanted to get away, and from I've heard so far, she is safe and happy where she is." he told her calmly, but keeping his smile to himself.

But The Empress was not happy about it.  "Zhen Zhen, I want you to find your sister and keep an eye on her." she told his shocked face, but one look at his mother told him, there was no room for argument, he had no choice.

Alright Mother, I'll leave in the morning." he said smiling up at her, while kicking Zhe Yans leg under the table, causing him to let out an involuntary yelp and a hard glare in his direction.

"Zhe Yan, you go with him." she added thoughtfully.  Though its best if you also go in disguise, you know what that girl is like, if she sees you, she'll flee again, and we do not want her to miss her next meeting with Mo Yuan."

"What?  Why do I have to go?" he asked looking towards Bai Zhi for help, who merely shrugged at him, not daring to look at his wife.

"Because, you never said a word Zhe Yan.  And because I said so." she smiled at him.

Sighing both men rose, they would need a good sleep before they left.  Zhe Yan hated the Mortal Realm, the smells especially, but he would go one time only and once they had found her, he would return and go into seclusion for a couple of days to rid himself of the filth that always attached itself to him on the few times he had ever visited that place.

__________________________________________________

Mo Yuan lay under the stars thinking over the days events.  His little Meili had been the biggest surprise of his entire life.  The child had become such an integral part of his life, he couldn't fathom what it would be like without her in it now.  He loved her dearly, her non stop chatter, open affection and bright smiles she blessed him with every day since they adopted her, had made his life complete.  

Tai too, the boy was exceptionally intelligent for one who had never been formally schooled, but then, for a child of the mortal Realm, real skills and talent are learnt through action, not from a book.  His love and dedication to his sister, had impressed him greatly, that he sometimes  wondered how she would have coped without him, but he always quickly killed that thought before it could take hold.

But now he and Ai were there for them, they would never have to live through that hell ever again.  That's what he had thought, until now.  Today, Meili had once again faced her past and the same fear that Tai had tried so hard to dispel, yet Ai had taken it upon herself to protect the girl without his input.  She had not once come to him for his advise or skills, assuming full control of the girls tuition, teaching her a skill that she should not have known.