Chapter 25: The source of the leak

Start from the beginning

Was it really her? What would Dyo say? Even if she hadn’t meant to do it, he had still defended her to Bree, as had Ariadne. What a nightmare!

From her place at the door, Athena could hear when Cress re-entered the room and gave Castor his book.

“Thanks, Cressida.”

“Are you sure that you can’t stay for lunch?”

“I’m sorry. I really do have to rush back to work. Maybe I can see you this evening to make up for it? I’ll take you out for dinner. Somewhere fancy.”

“Okay. I can wait until this evening. Goodbye, Castor.”

Athena heard the front door shut, followed a few seconds later by the sound of Cress’ door closing.

She didn’t even stop to think about what she was going to do. She needed to know the truth. Silently, she opened her own door and crept towards the entrance way, where she shoved on her coat and boots.

As softly as she could, she eased open the front door, letting it close behind her again with the faintest of clicks.

Then she was following Castor out of the building.

He had only just turned out of Downing Street when she caught up with him. She pulled her coat collar up around her face and kept a few people between them, in case he turned around and spotted her.

The voice in her head was telling her that she was behaving like a lunatic; Castor was probably on his way back to work. He was bound to look around at some point and then he’d spot her, which would lead to lots of awkward questions.

She was being crazy. She should turn around.

She would, she told herself. She would turn and go back to the flat once she saw Castor getting on the tube. Once he was on the tube, she would know he was going back to work. The tube station was only a few metres ahead of him now, a few more seconds and he would…

Castor continued past the station. So he wasn’t going back to work. Where was he in such a rush to get to, then?

Her interest well and truly piqued, Athena kept following as Castor walked down a few more streets and finally turned into St James’ park.

Why leave in such a rush if he was just going for a stroll?

There were fewer people here, making it harder for Athena to follow. As Castor approached the lake, she dropped further back, pausing behind a tree as Castor sat down on a bench.

Her heart was thumping in her chest. She wished she could let someone know what she was doing, so that she didn’t have to feel quite so vulnerable. But she didn’t want to say anything to Dyo and Ari if there was a chance she was the leak. She couldn’t bear that to tell them; it would be easier to just go home.

Tentatively, she peered around the tree, to see what Castor was doing, but jerked her head straight back round again when she noticed that he was not alone.

He was also, she realised immediately, not with a stranger. Hermes was sat beside him. Athena had never spoken to him at the few meetings she had made it to, but she recognised his face at once.

Athena swallowed her fear and called Dyo via her glasses.

“Hey, Athena. I’m sorry I haven’t replied to your messages yet. I’ve been-”

Athena didn’t even bother to answer. She just switched on the video stream and poked her head around the tree, allowing Dyo to see the bench.

“Athena? I don’t understand? Are you okay? Is that - is that Hermes? And the guy from the Freedom Institute? Grant?”

Concerned that she would be heard if she spoke, Athena settled for nodding the camera.

“Everyone got out,” they heard Castor say quietly. His voice was level, giving nothing away.

“I’m sorry. I did my best to slow them down.”

Castor shook his head. “What about the data? Did they get anything?”

“I don’t know - Bree has been really secretive the past few days. She has barely spoken to anyone. I’m working on Ismene though - I think I can get her to give me more information.”

“Make sure you don’t take too long over it.”

“I won’t. I’m nearly there.”

“You have two more days. Same time, same place. I want to know exactly how much they managed to get off the system.”

“What about their names?”

Castor shook his head. “No need. I’ve managed to take care of that one without your assistance; take too long and you’ll find yourself unnecessary. You know what will happen then.”

“Castor, please. I’ll get you your information. Just don’t give up on me.”

“Two days, Hermes. Failure will not be pleasant.” With that, Castor stood up to leave. Athena spun back round the tree, in case he looked in her direction. She counted slowly to sixty, then looked round the tree again. Both men had gone.

“Did you get all that?” she asked Dyo.

“Meet me at Bree’s apartment in fifteen minutes.”