Birthday wishes

“Once there was a girl,” Ellie’s mother read. The mother paused and looked at her daughter with disbelief and said, “Do I really have to read this again?”

            “Just once more Mommy,” Ellie said.

            “Ok, but this is the last time. Next time you will have to learn how to read it on your own.”

            “I promise Mommy.”

            Ellie’s mom smiled down at her daughter, “Alright then let us begin. Once there was a girl,” her mother started as she looked at her daughter realizing that she was asleep. Ellie’s mom sighed and set the book on her bedside with the title showing “The Princess and The Pea.” The mother looked once more at her little girl before she shut the door.

-13 years later-

            “Happy sixteenth birthday dear!” Ellie’s mom and father yelled rushing into the room. I can’t believe I’m sixteen Ellie thought. Her room hasn’t changed all that much except for the extra clutter. Even “The Princess and The Pea” is still on her bedside thoroughly read with her ipod and phone carelessly on top.

            “We have cake,” her mom said.

            “Oh my God really? Yum!” Ellie yelled.

            “Not so fast you have to make a wish first,” her dad said as Ellie pouted.

            “It’s not like they actually come true.”

            “Sixteenth’s the charm” her dad said.

            “Fine, fine I will blow out some stupid candles.”

            “That’s my girl,” Ellie’s father said as Ellie rolled her eyes.

            “Alright! Lets get filled with some cake,” he said.

            After they had their fair share of the birthday cake it was time for Ellie’s parents to go to work, “Now have a magical day at school honey,” her father said with a grin as they left for work. Ellie shook her head at her dad’s silliness. She walked up to her room to get her hair and makeup done since she was already dressed, but suddenly her house shook on her way up the stairs slightly loosing her balance and making her fall into the wall and railing, “Ow!” She quickly grabbed hold of the railing trying to keep her balance as her house shook. Really an earthquake on my birthday? That’s just terrific. The world loves me she thought.

            After a few minutes the earthquake stopped and she went down the stairs to see if there was any damage outside, but what she saw outside was not what she was expecting at all.