Perched in the armchair by the window, Cassandra's eyes were alert as they scanned the view across the road. She could just make out the figure of the man who now went by the name August. The once-wooden man, was lazing against his bike, glossy hair being the only thing Cassandra could see from this angle. He was speaking to a man with a serious look on his face, standing at the kerb.

Her father.

Her entire life had been spent carrying anger towards her parents. Her mother abandoning her may have been spurred on by Neal leaving her. Or maybe, she would have done so regardless, causing Neal to be the one who left his unborn children to deal with the cruel, apathetic tendencies of his psychotic girlfriend.

Either way, Cassandra expected to feel something when she laid her eyes on her father for the first time. Some connection caused by the blood they shared. There was nothing. The man before her was nothing more than that, a man. Her brain could not make the link between this mundane city dweller, and the mental image of him her mind had morphed over her lifetime. She didn't know what she had been expecting. Some sort of demon? Perhaps a sinister man, an apparent untrustworthy demeanour with an animalistic twisting of the lips as he jeered at those beneath him. Deep lines of guilt or grief etched into his face as time punished him for his wrongdoings.

But there was nothing of the sort. Neal stood there, hands stuffed into his pockets, looking completely ordinary. If she hadn't been directly told this was him, she never would have realised he was her father.

Orange blaring in her peripheral vision, Cassandra's eyes were dragged down the street. She cringed at the bright coat Tamara was sporting as she looked into her compact. The sickly colour made her want to gouge her eyes out. She had tried to warn the woman, that the hideous item would likely result in Neal fleeing before his vision could be damaged any further.

Obviously, Tamara paid no attention. Apparently, it was Greg's favourite colour.

___

///

"Don't you look cheery?" She was startled from her daze by the voice of a chirpy redhead.

"Darrel." She smiled though it did not meet her eyes. "Lose to William again?" She eyed the slash on his upper arm.

"Not my fault he cheats." He mumbled, cheeks turning pink.

"I'm impressed he's capable of cheating in a game with no rules." She teased. "Are you here to ask me if I'll defend your honour?"

"If you would be so kind." He bowed dramatically, a confident grin having returned to his face.

"Certainly, my good chap." She sprung to her feet and the pair of them strolled to the group prodding each other with pointed sticks. William was wearing his usual frenzied grin, full of arrogance. His dark blond hair was matted to his scalp with sweat, and grime coated his skin.

"William." She spoke and the jeering boys stilled. William's expression dropped as he saw her. Reluctantly, he handed her one of the makeshift swords and got himself into a starting stance. The others shuffled backwards, clearing a space for the two of them. Cassandra sneered, a violent glint in her eyes.

Despite William being nearly half a foot shorter than her, he was one of Peter's best fighters. In fact, his small size was not a hindrance, but rather something he used to his advantage. Favouring agility over strength as Cassandra often did. However, throughout her life Cassandra had accumulated skills other than speed. Strength included. Although her physical force was no match for individuals such as Peter and Felix, it greatly surpassed that of William's own.