Nine

Saturday, September 29th cont.

Hinata and I drove downtown and met the other girls at the diner. It was a greasy little retro 50s style diner. When we walked in they called us over to the booth they they had commandeered as their own.

“What took you guys so long? We were going to start without you.” Temari says as I slide in next to her.

“Oh, not much. I had to bail a friend out of a jam and Hinata was spending some time with her loverboy.” I smile over at Hinata while everyone chuckles.

“Oh whatever guys. Jeez, it’s not that big a deal.” Hinata said blushing, “Besides Al, I think everyone would be much more interested in which friend you bailed out, and how you bailed said person out.” She smiled impishly at me. She had effectively gotten everyone’s’ attention, and directed it towards me.

“Whatever, not like I’m embarrassed by it.” I said confidently, hoping I could keep up the façade. “The friend was Mr. Popular himself, he got mobbed by his usual girls as well as the other team. I simply latched myself to his back and we walked away calm as day. Easy peasy.” I started to blush. I looked over and saw that our food was coming out of the kitchen. Thank god.

“Oh my god.” Temari looked at me in disbelief, with a side of horror, “You like him.”

“What?” If none had been paying full attention before, they were now.

“You so totally do!” TenTen chimed in grinning.

“No.” I said taking a bite of my chilidog. I took a few moments to slowly, carefully chew, while trying to calm my frayed nerves. “I don’t like him.”

“Then why are you blushing?” Hinata poked my cheek.

“I admit that he is good looking, but there is no way that I want to be anything more than friends. I have a boyfriend.” I say matter of factly. The girls giggled at my lame defense, but decided not to say anything more on the subject.

~~~~~

After we left the diner, Hinata drove me home. She lived in the same neighborhood as well. Sweet! If I ever run away from home or get my car taken away, I can walk to her house.

I walked in the front door and noticed how quiet it was. On further examination, I determined that no one was home. I went up to my room and called Travis.

“We won!” I yelled into the mouthpiece as soon as he answered.

“Really? That’s awesome!” He yells back at me, chuckling.

“So, I take it things are going well? You know with school and everything. Work and whatnot.” I ask sitting down at my desk.

“Yea, things have been going well all around. Oh, I’m going to be free the week before Christmas. I was thinking of getting a plan ticket and coming to see you, or you could come here. Your friends miss you I’m sure.”

“Snap! You know what? I’ve been so busy with volleyball and everything else I haven’t had time to call anyone. I guess I should do that.” I say sheepishly, suddenly feeling very guilty.

“Well, how about I get off the phone with you, so you can start the groveling. I’m sure Crissy is pissed.” He laughed his deep laugh. If nothing else, that laugh is what always made me realize why I fell for him in the first place.

“Sounds good. Love you!” I hang up the phone quickly without hearing his reply.

I turn on my computer and open up Skype. I wait patiently hoping for Crissy to answer.