Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

Miles

"You screamed."

I rolled my eyes, but continued down the stairs, determined to remain unfazed.

"I did not scream," I stated.

Tinkling laughter greeted me from behind as Grace and Violet watched me unload our luggage. The little girl was gone, the job was done, and all I wanted to do was curl up in a bed I hoped was comfortable and close my eyes. But they needed to have their fun to wind down.

"Grace, would you call that a shrill womanly scream or a frightened toddler scream?"

"Oh, frightened toddler, definitely," Grace said.

With my hands filled with their pink and purple suitcases, I trudged back up the stairs.

"It was not a scream."

"Lung spasm, then?" Violet quirked an eyebrow up in challenge. "Or no, you just remembered at that very moment that you forgot to program Ellen to record while we're gone?"

"Oh, piss off, Vi." I dropped her bag at her feet but kept hold of Grace's. "I didn't forget Ellen. I never forget Ellen."

"Ahh, so it was fear then."

"Would it make you feel better if we referred to it as a manly howl of a scream?" Grace could barely contain her laughter. But hey, I did scream, so she had a right to bait me.

"Yes, that would be much better," I smiled. "Thank you."

Once we were all in our respective rooms, Grace and I kicked off our shoes and collapsed onto the bed. Her on one side, me on the other, a good foot of space between us. It wasn't what I wanted, but it was enough. I had her back. I just had to remind myself of that fact every day we woke up safe, sane, and free.

As my muscles relaxed and I sank deeper into the mattress, I lolled my head to the side to look at her. Her dark lashes fanned across her cheek, a content smile playing softly at her lips. Small scars marred her skin, evidence of a time most of us would rather forget, but they were fading. They would never be completely erased, but maybe one day Grace would be able to look in the mirror and see past them.

"I have a surprise for you."

Her eyes popped open and her smile intensified. As did the ache in my heart and the urge to wrap her in my arms. That ache was always there, in the background of whatever emotion I was feeling. There was no way around it, no way to avoid it. It was just something I'd have to learn to endure.

"What kind of surprise?"

With a groan, I rolled off the bed and unzipped my suitcase. My hands wrapped around the paper bag and I held it up, shaking the contents.

"Oooh, a present?"

I shrugged. "Sorta kinda." I tossed the bag on the bed. "Open it."

She hopped up until she was sitting on her knees and dumped the contents onto the bed. Then she stared.

"I..." She chewed on the corner of her lips, trying to summon a response. "I like it. Thank you."

"If you don't like the color I can get something else. They had a few dark ones to choose from."

"No. It's- It's perfect. I think it'll look good."

She flipped the box of hair color over in one hand while holding the packaged shears in the other. She seemed lost, like she didn't know if she was allowed to like it or not.