6

Just because Sarah couldn't actually hang out with Ric anymore didn't mean that they couldn't "date" anymore, so Sarah decided they needed a Saturday night date night.

"How was your week?" Sarah asks as she sticks a pizza in the oven. She had the house to herself tonight so earlier she picked up one of those take-and-bake pizzas in town.

"You know, the usual," Ric replies vaguely as Sarah hears the sounds of things shifting on his end.

"Does the band miss me?" Sarah tries again as she walks into the living room and queues up her Netflix Watchlist on Roberto's fifty-inch flat screen.

"We're auditioning guitarists to fill your spot," Ric sighs. Sarah wishes that he'd add 'but it won't be the same without you,' but of course he doesn't.

Turning on their prearranged movie choice Sarah asks, "Ric, are we going to be okay?"

"I don't know," Ric's tone is less than reassuring, "you're almost four hundred miles away and this distance shit is hard."

"I'm sorry this is such an inconvenience for you," Sarah snaps, "it isn't like I wanted this or anything."

"Baby girl, don't be that way," Ric says defensively, "I just meant–"

A knock on the front door gives Sarah an excuse to get off the phone. So much for date night, it was a stupid idea anyway. "I gotta go, Ric, there's someone at the door. I'll talk to you later."

"Wait, baby girl," Ric is protesting as Sarah hangs up.

Sarah jogs to the door as the sound of the knocking intensifies. Growing up in Boston gave Sarah the good sense to look through the peephole in the door before opening it, but she's confused as to why two cops are standing on the stoop.

"Can I help you?" Sarah asks cautiously when she opens the door. This wouldn't be the first time cops came to the door, looking for her brother as was usually the case.

"Are you Sarah Wildwood?" The shorter, stockier of the duo asks. The taller, gray-haired officer smiles at her regretfully.

"Yes," Sarah says slowly, "is everything alright?"

"We're here trying to check on the whereabouts of a Miss Kerabeth LeQueen," the taller officer explains. "We understand that she came home with you after school yesterday."

"She did, but she left around six," Sarah explains.

The shorter officer frowns and his thin blond mustache nearly disappears into his mouth. "Have you heard from Miss LeQueen since she left here last night?"

"No, I haven't. Forgive me, but what's going on?" Sarah asks. Worry lines pucker her brow.

"It appears that Miss LeQueen is missing. She didn't return home last night and her parents are extremely worried. Are you sure she isn't here with you?" The taller officer asks.

Sarah shakes her head adamantly, "Kerabeth definitely isn't here. I'm home alone. You can check the house if you want to."

"That won't be necessary, Miss," the shorter officer says, "but please call the station immediately if you hear from Miss LeQueen."

"I will," Sarah promises.

***

On Monday, everyone knows Kerabeth is missing but not a soul has heard from her. On Tuesday, the eyes of the entire student body seem to follow Sarah everywhere hurling silent accusations at her back. Tav is the only one who doesn't watch Sarah suspiciously, who knows that she's just as concerned about his cousin as he is.