Billy Hargrove Imagine- Missing You

Start from the beginning

The second part of your day went by quickly. At 2:00pm the afternoon bell rang sending restless teenagers to the parking lot. You followed the crowd of people out of the building and made your way to your car. As you walked up to your car, you saw Billy smoking a cigarette waiting on you. That same cheesy smile from this morning spread across your lips, but was quickly replaced with concern when you saw Billy's scowl. "Hey, what's wrong?" You asked walking up to Billy. He took a couple more puffs before angrily flicking the cigarette onto the ground and stomping on it. "Are you okay?" You questioned reaching for his hand. Billy took a step back not allowing you to take his hand in yours. You titled your head to the side, but didn't say anything. Billy ran his hand over his face, "What the hell were you doing with Harrington at lunch today?" You furrowed your eyebrows, "You saw me with Steve at lunch? I couldn't find you, where were you?" Billy took a deep breath trying to control his anger, "That didn't answer my question. What were you doing with him?" Still a little confused you shrugged, "He was asking me for advice. He wanted to know how to apologize to Nancy for something. It wasn't anything really, just a friend asking for help from another friend." Billy's eyes glowered at you, "If he was asking for advice, why was he all over you? And why were you touching on him?" You stared at Billy in bewilderment, "What are you talking about?" Billy raked his hands through his hair angrily, "I saw him Y/N! He was all over you and you weren't stopping him. You were all over him too!" The people around you began to stare as Billy raised his voice. "Billy," you said quietly, "if you want to talk we can go to my house or something. You know, if you're really that angry. I just don't think this is the place." Billy scoffed, "No, Y/N I don't want to 'go to your house or something'. I want you to tell me why the fuck Harrington was all over you. If you don't want to tell me I can always go get it out of him." Your confusion slowly began to change to anger. "What the hell is your problem Billy? I already told you why he was talking to me. And he wasn't all over me, okay? A hug isn't someone being all over someone else. I was being a good friend for God's sake. Why don't you trust me?" You retorted a little louder than you wanted. You could hear the whispers from the people standing near you, but ignored them. Billy pulled his lips into a tight line before saying, "I don't know if I can trust you." Your heart clenched at his words, "Well if you don't know if you can trust me then maybe we shouldn't be together anymore." A hint of hurt flashed through Billy's eyes at your suggestion. "Maybe we shouldn't." Billy agreed, his voice falling as he spoke. You could feel the tears pooling in your eyes, but swallowed them away. "Fine." You said shakily as you stared into Billy's eyes. He held your gaze for another moment before saying back to you, "Fine." Your heart shattered at his final word and felt your eyes start to sting again. With tears threatening to spill over, you got into your car and drove off leaving Billy behind you.

You arrived home faster than usual and ran straight to your room. As soon as you shut your door, you let the warm tears rush from your eyes. Slowly sliding down the door, you let the sobs you had been holding in rake through your body. You threw your backpack across the room, "Son of a bitch!" You yelled through your tears. Holding your head in your hands, you just cried. You cried because you hurt, you cried because you knew Billy was hurting, you cried because you couldn't see Max anymore, and you cried because, although you didn't want to admit it now, you loved him. You hiccupped as you stood up and walked to your bed before another round of sobs shook your core. Your eyes shut when you hit the bed and soon after you fell into a restless slumber.

The next day you, unwillingly, pulled yourself out of bed and got ready for school. Your eyes were puffy and red from crying and you looked tired. Although you tried to cover up your sadness with makeup, it didn't work. Staring at yourself in the bathroom mirror you could still see the remnants of last night. With a defeated sigh, you looked away and headed out to school. You made it your mission to stay as far away from Billy as possible and that meant finding a new parking spot. Unable to find any spots close to the building, you were forced to park out by the road. You sat in your car listening to "Missing You" by John Waites on the radio. Tears began to burn in your throat when a light knock came from your passenger window. You quickly looked up to find Max's sad face staring back at you. She pointed to the door handle telling you to unlock the car. You unlocked it allowing her to plop into your front seat. Her skateboard straddled her lap as she turned to you. "If I knew not letting you practice hairstyles on me would result in you and Billy breaking up I would have let you do it, you know?" She said earning a chuckle from you. You placed your hand on top of hers, "It's not your fault. Billy and I are just... not meant to be. I guess everyone was right." Max let out a frustrated sigh, "I know you don't mean that. I'm literally looking at your failed attempt at covering up your lack of sleep and, news flash, your eyes are still red, so." You stared at her with your mouth hanging open unable to say anything in return. She closed her eyes regaining her composure, "Listen, I know Billy is an asshole sometimes, but he really cares about you. And, even though he keeps denying it, I know he misses you too. I saw the way he looked this morning. He looked like shit! He looked just like you!" You raised your eyebrows at her last remark, but didn't say anything letting her continue. "Sorry," she began, "I meant his eyes were red and puffy and all that stuff. You and I both know he would never leave the house looking like that, but he did this morning." Max looked at you with pleading eyes, "Look, I'm not telling you to give him a second chance or anything. I'm just asking you to talk to him because judging by the way you look, and the track you have playing on the radio, you're missing him too." You stared down at Max with a small smile, "You're wise beyond your years Mad Max. Do you know that?" Max shrugged before giving you a proud grin. You chuckled before pulling her into a hug over your center console.

The school day went by slow as your mind kept mulling over what Max said. You couldn't concentrate on anything except for the idea of running into Billy's arms. When lunch rolled around, instead of going out to your car, you sat in the library which overlooked the parking lot. Although you tried to convince yourself not to, your eyes looked out to the lines of cars. You could see your fellow classmates walking around, but your eyes found their way to the one person you were looking for. It was impossible to miss his broad shoulders and dirty blonde hair. You let yourself stare for only a moment before forcing yourself to look away. The rest of the day dragged until finally the bell rang indicating that it was time to go home. You quickly made your way out of the building in hopes that Billy was waiting, but, when you got to the parking lot, his car was long gone.

Instead of going home, you decided to listen to Max and drove to her and Billy's house. You sat in the driveway of the Hargrove residence staring at the door willing yourself to get out. After 5 minutes, you got out and walked up to the door and knocked. You could hear "Rock You Like A Hurricane" by The Scorpions playing in the living room. At first, nobody answered the door. But, just when you were about to turn around, the door slowly creaked open exposing a sweaty and out of breath Billy. His white cut off tank was saturated in sweat and his face was glistening. As you stared at him, you realized that Max wasn't lying this morning. His eyes had a hint of red in them and were still swollen. Although he could have fooled you into thinking he looked tired because of his weight lifting, you knew the truth. "Y/N." Billy said, his voice tiny. You gave him a weak smile, "Hey Billy." He looked back into the house before stepping out onto the porch with you. "What are you doing here?" He asked as he slid his hands into the pockets of his gym shorts. You looked down at your worn out high tops, "I wanted to talk." Billy looked at you before running a hand through his wet hair, "What did you want to talk about?" You brought your gaze up to meet his and let out a breath, "About us Billy." He dropped his eyes at the mention of your tattered relationship. "Billy..." you began before he cut you off. "Stop," he said closing his eyes, "please don't apologize. You shouldn't have to apologize for me being an ass. I was wrong and I should have trusted you because I know, you of all people, would be the last person to lie to me." You stared at him in silence letting him talk. He opened his eyes and looked at you. You could see the red tinge coming back as he took your hands in his, "And I can sit here and lie to myself and Max and even my shit head friends, but I can't lie to you. I miss you and, after I watched you drive away yesterday, I realized that my life would go to shit without you. I love you Y/N and I need you in my life." Your heart burst in your chest at the three words you had been yearning for him to say to you. A single tear fell down your cheek as a smile found its way to your lips. "Billy," you whispered before taking his face in your hands and smashing your lips onto his. The kiss was tender, but fiery as you showed him the words your lips couldn't formulate. He held onto you tightly when your lips finally separated. He peppered kisses on your forehead and hair, "I love you so much Y/N and I'm so sorry." Cuddled into his arms you looked up into his eyes, "I forgive you and I love you so much more Billy." He smiled down at you before pulling you into another warm kiss.