Two Proper Meetings

For the third time that day, Keagan shut the door to their new apartment. Neither sibling said anything, but they both let out an overwhelmed breath. Verona’s sounded more like a sigh of disappointment than anything. Her brother attempted conversation, but he found that trying to follow up what happened outside was pretty close to impossible.

He was shocked when Verona leaned against the refrigerator and began to speak. “Jack wasn’t kidding when he said the other neighbours were worse than he was. The landlord doesn’t sound too fun either, really.”

“Maybe it’s just because you’re a lesbian.”

“Shut up, Keagan.”

“The fried rice is on the line here, Verona. You might want to change the tone.” He suggested in a mock-parental manner, which he knew his sister hated.

She rolled her eyes at him. “I didn’t know you were such a soccer mom. The look really doesn’t suit you, little brother. You might want to look into being a crazy uncle instead.”

“Yeah, alright. Will do.” Keagan smiled and shook his head. They always joked like that when Verona was in a good mood, so the entire exchange had calmed his nerves a lot. As useless as she could be, his sister could always crack a joke. Sometimes it was pretty terrible timing, but he knew she’d always be able to find her way back home. It was just common knowledge that, although she didn’t think about it much, Verona could pull it up and out of her data files only when it was a life or death situation. Sometimes he had to admit, it was alright timing.

Verona grinned. “Now get on with that fried rice, servant, while I go pick up The Little Mermaid.”

Keagan laughed and waved her off, putting on an apron. What a pervert she was. Verona was out the door before he could say another word, pulling off her gloves and tossing them on a small wooden table that was by the door. Huh. He hadn’t seen that before. Oh well, not like it mattered. Keagan would take a free table any day.

While he cooked dinner, his sister was actually doing what she said she would. Or at least, trying. She had gone down in the elevator to go back and see Ariel, the mysteriously petite front desk clerk. The girl was still there, filing through some papers, just as she was when they came in. Verona almost made an indignant noise, thinking that she hadn’t made enough of an impression. She stomped in, but quickly slowed as she saw Ariel looking up at her expectantly, a smile on her face.

“Can I help you?” Be cool, Verona, be cool.

“Well, I was wondering if you would- if you would like to go out some time?” Pretty girls were intimidating for Verona, and Ariel was no exception to the rule. She smiled nervously.

Ariel seemed to be finding the words to answer properly. “Yes, of course. I’m usually busy, but I can have another desk clerk do the paperwork. Maybe tomorrow?”

“Yeah. Sounds good to me.”

“Alright.” The Danish girl nodded, smiling, and went back to her papers which apparently were much more interesting than Verona. Although, she supposed that she didn’t give Ariel a paycheck every month, and those papers basically did, so at least her priorities were straight, even if she wasn’t. Money before honeys, she thought. Verona decided to walk around a bit before going back.

Meanwhile, there was a knock at the door of room 209. Keagan, who was making fried rice like he’d promised, wiped his hands on his apron and sighed, walking over to open it. Way too many interruptions in one day. What a wacky place, he mused as he shook his head.

“Hello?” Keagan opened the door to none other than Harley the Hero.

“Hello.” Harley answered gruffly.

“What can I do for you?” The college grad was pretty finished with people talking to him, but one more couldn’t hurt all that much. Plus, this guy seemed cool, with his dramatic entrance in the hallway. Like Batman.

“I was just coming by to apologize on behalf of Charlotte. She’s actually a decent person, but her job seems to get into her head before common courtesies do.” He seemed to choose his words carefully, like someone trying to get a dictionary definition correct, so they don’t get hit with a ruler. Harley was guarded, with good reason.

“Well, that’s alright.

“It shouldn’t be.”

The words came out as a mutter, but Keagan heard them. He was stunned. This man was trying to tell him that he should’ve had higher standards for people, should’ve been a bit more picky with behaviour. Keagan guessed that was more Army stuff. He didn’t challenge Harley, and nodded. It wasn’t good to pick fights with someone who was on your side.

“Uh, anyway, we’re having dinner once my sister gets back up.” Where was Verona anyway? It never took long to get someone’s number. “Would you like to join us?”

Batman AKA Harley shook his head. “No, I have to stay with my daughter. Thank you though. Maybe another time. I’ll see you later.” And with that, he swooshed his cape and flew to save the day, back into room 219. Or at least, saving Amelia’s day from waking up cranky and such.

Keagan was interested to say the least. He shuffled back to the kitchen to stir the rice.

Just then, Verona waltzed in, a proud smile on her face.

“Did you get her number?”

“No.” His sister gave him a sly grin, while his brain buzzed idly.

“Then why are you happy?” Keagan leaned against the marble island, enthusiastic to hear what miniscule achievement Verona completed.

“We’re going out tomorrow.”

“Oh. Nice.”

“Mhm.” She didn’t seem interested in anything he had to say, her curly, dark hair moving as she swayed and sashayed away. Keagan sighed. His sister was a hopeless case.

But truthfully, he decided he didn’t mind. Hopeless or not, he was stuck with her for eternity.

Okay, maybe that’s hyperbolic, but still.

Like, a really long time.

((Did anyone find the Boy in the Striped Pajamas reference?))