Chapter One ~ The Beginning

"So why exactly do you need a sword?" Virginia asked, looking doubtfully at Lord Reddingham's stubby arms and fat belly.

"Stop your staring! I only want to give one to my son for his 18th birthday!" Lord Reddingham exclaimed.

Virginia's expression changed from one of confusion to one of understanding. Lord Reddingham's son, Henry, was one of the strongest men in the village. He stood at the impressive height of 6'7, with muscles that bulged so hugely it appeared they would burst the seams of his shirt. The village's animal meat and pelts were always plentiful, courtesy of Henry's weekly hunting trips. Virginia might be attracted to him if it wasn't for the fact that he had the brains of a mushroom.

"Yes, yes, well, don't expect to be the one he chooses for his bride, since he is now of the marrying age. He would need someone that was pretty and good for bearing children." Lord Reddingham said with a disapproving stare. Virginia's cheeks burned.

"Oh, don't be silly! I could never marry an idiot like Henry! I would need to be with someone with at least the littlest trace of a brain." Virginia said in retaliation to Lord Reddingham's insults.

"What?! What did you just say?!" he spluttered with a red face.

"Whatever is the problem, Lord Reddingham?" Virginia's smirk was quickly smothered when Virginia's stepmother, Bianca, suddenly appeared from the back room, drawn to the impatient yells of Lord Reddingham.

"You must teach your serving girl to tame her tongue!" he yelled at the top of his lungs before storming out of the shop.

"What did you say to him?!" Bianca asked, her smile quickly melting into a disappointed frown.

"I, I-"

"You what? What did you say?!"

"Only that his son is an idiot."

"You did what?! I can't believe you! How much trouble do you need to cause?!"

"It just slipped out. I didn't mean to. Besides, he was insulting me!"

"I don't care if he insulted you. You should know that by now! Keep on a big smile and remain polite, no matter what the customer says!"

Virginia breathed a sigh of defeat. "I know."

"No you don't. So to help you understand, I'm going to be adding Lucy's chores to your own. You also will not be allowed any lunch breaks for two weeks." Bianca decided.

"All right." Over the years, Virginia had learned to just go with whatever Bianca said, no matter how ridiculous or unfair. It was a lot easier that way, because Bianca was one of the most stubborn people you could ever meet. With curly brown hair, sunken cheeks, and dull eyes, Bianca was known as the most donkey-headed woman in the 5 kingdoms. Basically, she was one of the worst step-mothers that Virginia could get stuck with.

"Now go fetch some water from the well and head to the market to buy some roses. We need it for Lucy's bath. When you get back, remember to warm it and add rose petals and that special new oil I bought. She must smell and look nice for Henry's banquet tonight."

"Yes stepmother."

"Stupid girl. Good thing everybody thinks that she's just my serving maid." Virginia heard Bianca mutter before she left the shop.

                                                                                                    ~*~

"Hurry up. You're bad for business!" The merchant exclaimed. Virginia was currently buying a bouquet of roses for Lucy's bath from a small, squat woman whose straggly brown hair was worn in a bun, the peasant dress she was wearing clean and wrinkle free. Her small, beady gray eyes darted around nervously as she waited impatiently for Virginia to get out the coin that would buy her the roses. The woman, Petunia Adamswood, was anxious for Virginia to leave. The reason is that Virginia is seen as cursed by the villagers of Virginia's village. Her mother had died while giving birth to Virginia, and her father disappeared, right on Virginia's 12th birthday, two days after marrying Virginia's step-mother.