Oranging

A new town, a new experience and new friends, well that's what 'rents had said, what they never said was ripping me from my girlfriend claiming I'd make new one? 'Oh but Ash you'll find new one.' How, just how could I find a new Colleen, she was my soul mate. It was bullshit, I loved my old school, loved my mates, but were it been decided were moving. I got no say in this, I might only be 17, but I think old enough to live on my own.

Whatever, the case here I was in some place with folksy name wondering who on  earth would want to work here, or hell who would want to live here, sure it was big enough to have a high school, but it was at best 250 people.

My Mum had spoke so proudly about this place, considering it was her birth home, I couldn't give a shit. It was obvious who had the balls in this relationship, and it wasn't Father. No he had been a CEO with a comforable profit margin and 40k salery a year.

But what Mother said was law.

Staring out the window, I looked at the places, corner shop, local pub, many houses and couldn't see much else. My Mother had declared this was once one of the biggest cities, but after the Gold rush, it all but died.

Sighing I watched the sun set, in the background through the walls I could hear them arguing.

"Harriet, you must tell him about it. I know you think it's harmless, but..."

I then heard a sharp laugh, "Why, political correctness probably stopped it. He's nothing to worry about."

Well that was that over, I walked over to the bed and closed my eyes. If they had continued arguing I missed it.

Waking up in a sweat, I saw I hadn't even changed out my clothes, instead looked like a bedraggled mess with clothes crumpled and needed ironed. Not like I cared, today was the day I started school, not even got a holiday or a period to get used to this hell hole, nope drop me right in, not like I had plans.

Sighing looked up myself in a mirror, like hell was going to fit into this place, I was metal-head with long hair and most my clothes were band tees. 

Annoyed i combed my hair, before chucking my bag over my shoulders and snatching up my mobile. Taking one last look at my room, I considered playing hooky, but probably get found out, besides how bad could it be.

Leaving the house I switched my mobile mp3 on, and begun to listen while walking, not paying more attention to things around me. Just pretty sure I knew where I was going, strangely place seemed pretty empty for school day. As my favourite song came oni felt something go over my mouth before feeling weighted, the world spun and dizziness hit, last thing I remember was my head hitting the ground, before total unconciousness hit me.

I awoke from dreamless sleep, realizing this wasn't anywhere I'd been yet, from dim light it appeared to be a cabin, but where it was, I had no idea. Standing up, I surveyed around, nothing seemed like it was dangerous, although I could feel dread for some unapplicable reason. Deciding it was good idea to leave, I saw I had been for a whole day, I was thirsty as all hell, and there was glass of water. 

Ignoring what my gut said, I downed the glass feeling much more refreshed and little strange, heading for the door I pushed it open and entered into the expanse. 

At first it was quiet, then heard something, growing uneasy I started to head in one of the many twisting directions, but as I moved, the noise grew louder, words became recognizable, "Mouse trap, mouse trap, mouse trap, cute little mouse all completely trapped. Mouse trap, mouse trap." It went on growing in volume, the voices seemingly from everywhere, deformed and unreal, blurred figures begun to approach, repeating the chant, hellish beasts with horns and bat-like wings, screaming.

I ran in any direction, but they came from everywhere waving swords and other weaponary, laughing at my desperation.

"MOUSE TRAP, MOUSE TRAP, MOUSE TRAP, CUTE LITTLE MOUSE ALL COMPLETELY TRAPPED."

I realized in horror they were circling me, pulling out my mobile I found nothing and still chant grew louder, mocking me.

Demons of world's unknown laughing my misery while chanting, sneering at my hopeless state.

They kept coming from portals in the woods, never ending, the woods must be their domain.

I tried to scream, but felt like my mouth was glued shut and they still smiled, black and burning, red and scalely, monsters looking on ready for the feast.

I tried to cover my eyes and ears and run through, but was pushed back into the circle, which kept shrinking while the chant had turned into sardonic screams of triumph, waving their weapons and all the while making it impossible for me to escape.

I crouched down and held on myself as they blocked all light with their shadows.

"WE CAUGHT THE MOUSE, CAUGHT THE MOUSE, MOUSE TRAP, MOUSE TRAP."

Trying to cry, trying to do anything I closed my eyes and tried to will them away.

Then it stopped.

There was laughing and sniggering.

Suddenly they all screamed and started beating me.

Unable to defend myself, I felt pain like nothing ever felt, ripping, stabbing, mauling and other such horrors, destroying me.

Then blackness and my body sighed in relief.

*****

Sergeant Winters sighed at the sight surrounding him, going over to rookie he murmured, "I thought we cut the Oranging business, apparently it's still happening." 

Poor kid, and to think this seemed usual call out, otherwise he'd not have bought the rookie, just out the academy and this is first thing he sees. We who live here, are ashamed of this, but no matter how we try to cut it down, it keeps happening.

The rookie blanched at the sight, "Will he be okay?"

"Doubtful, the aim of the game is to destroy them mentally."

The rookie eyes opened in horror, "You mean he's still alive?"

"Barely..."

The Sergeant stared at the bloody victim, beaten and bruised all over, with cuts and wounds. The poor kid wasn't lucky to be alive, death would have been a release, instead this kid was likely to end up with the other victims.

The rookie turned away and asked, "What you mean barely?"

"He lost the game." was all the Sergeant replied.