Prologue

50 years ago, Space Colony Ark

" You are...perfect... "

Professor Gerald Robotnik stared at the clear, water filled tube in front of him.

" No...You are more than perfect... "

He placed a hand on the glass, where an ocean blue hand mimicked him. The water in the tube took shape, a shape it had observed curiously over the past months of creation.

Gerald smiled as his creations eyes opened, flashing their red pupils.

" Ah...I see you learn...you copy... "

He turned away from the water, which was now hedgehog shaped and grabbed his journal off his desk.

' Day 75...she lives...she has taken form...and though she is unstable now...I hope that one day I will be able to release her...down to the world...as through my samples of the Chaos water god...she has life...she has purpose...my research has shown that all water on earth is slowly disappearing...I cannot let this happen...if Maria is ever going to live happily down there...she will need a guardian...both on land and in the water...Shadow can protect her on land...but the sea is unforgiving...thus...project Jewel of Chaos will live out this purpose...'

" Grandfather? "

Gerald turned, quickly closing the journal and returning it to its spot on the desk.

" Maria, be careful " He warned the young blonde child standing before him, admiring the creature in the tube.

Maria Robotnik giggled. " Its funny looking " she tapped the glass.

The creation stared at her, copying her amused look, a smile cracking her face.

Gerald couldn't help but smile himself. " ...Do you like her Maria? "

" Oh yes Grandfather! And I think Shadow will like her as well! "

" Hmph...doubtful... "

Gerald turned to his other creation, The Ultimate Life form, the black and red hedgehog known as Project Shadow. He was Maria's protector, humanities protector.

Maria didn't seem to be as concerned with Shadows comment as Gerald was, and the innocent child simply skipped over to the hedgehog, grabbed his hand and brought him over to the new creation.

" Look Shadow! Grandfather created a sister for you! "

Jewel of Chaos watched, and Gerald wondered if she believed Maria's words as much as the young child did herself.

Shadow simply crossed his arms and turned away. " That creation has no relation to me... "

Gerald smiled as his creations frustration, which had been developed entirely on its own.

" My boy, you are not in any relation to myself or Maria, yet we still welcome you as our family... "

Shadows stone features softened momentarily. " ...But what purpose does this...creature have? "

" Same as you... " Gerald put a hand on Maria's shoulder. " To protect us all...to protect the world...but while you will protect the land...she will protect the sea... "

Shadow rolled his eyes as the creature in the tube put its hand to the glass. " But she is tiny...how much power can she really posses... "

Gerald looked back at his journal for a quick second. It was this choice that he wouldn't know would change their future forever. A choice to tell his first creation that this new creation was infused with the DNA and powers of a Water God, or to keep that to himself.