five!

"It smells like spruce," Sandy commented. He took a quick look around the Juarez household noticing little to nothing had changed in the past two days.

"You say that every time," Maria laughed pulling him into a hug. "She's putting on her sweater, hold on."

It was true, the old one story home smelled like spruce. No one really knew why but no one complained.

"Lulu ¿Can I borrow your cream sweater?" Nina called from downstairs.

"Yes but you have to come upstairs for it," she replied to her sister.

"She's always borrowing your clothes," Sandy tried to say in the same language as the sisters.

"Your spanish is getting a lot better," the older sister noted.

"She's been helping me with it."

"Don't talk bad about me," Nina said running up the basement stairs into Maria's room. "Where is it? Wait! Found it! Okay let's go."

Sandy and Maria laughed quickly saying their goodbyes.

"When does Lou get her new wheel?" Nina questioned sitting in the passengers seat of the truck.

"Tonight," her best friend said.

"It's a miracle."

"Haha. Where are we going?"

She hesitantly turned to him careful with her request. "The library," she meekly said. An audible groan could be heard from the boy but he acted in acquiesce.

The drive was quiet, a change to their usual chatter and banter. Music played from the radio and traffic could be heard but that was all.

"You didn't have to lie. You still like Danny. That's fine. He's a great guy."

"I'm embarrassed. He turned me down and I still like him. That's not like me"

"So what?"

"I have to return this book and we can leave."

"We can stay."

"No we can leave. Let's go to my place and I'll cook."

"You know my weaknesses all too well, Nina.

***

The moment her smiled his big, innocent smile, she melted. She gave into the feeling of safety and stability for the moment and gravitated towards him.

Danny wore a large navy blue sweater with chevron white stripes. He pulled her into a hug saying a simple hello. She breathed in his scent of mint holding him close. She wished she could stay there in his arms forever.

"Return your book," Sandy called somewhere far in her mind. His words brought her back to reality. She would never be with Danny despite having months of falling and flirting.

"What book are you getting?" Danny asked grabbing an old cooking book from her hands.

"Another one of those," she replied before walking towards the cook book section.

The books were a mix of old and new, from 50s housewives to 80s Good Housekeeping. She dreamed of writing one of her own. No- Sandy would write the book. She would cook. She would be the powerhouse of their joint restaurant, creating signature plates no one had ever thought of. It was a dream that filled her with happiness and hope.

Carefully she edged her finger along each book's spine before landing on one at random. It was her tradition to select a book and recipe at random, it was fun. Her fingers skipped through the pages before stopping on page 124.

"Chicken Casserole. Great. Let's go Sandy."

***