As if Simone could read my mind and my glances she mentioned, "Laurent is in his room, I'll go upstairs and let him know that he has company. Feel free to take a seat and make yourself at home. I believe the line goes 'mi casa es tu casa.'"

As Simone walked upstairs I took a seat on the sofa in the room, politely setting down my things and getting comfortable. The sound of muffled voices lightly filled the living room, Laurent's voice was barely audible while Simone spoke at a louder volume.

My eyes wandered as I waited, it wasn't long until I spotted photos of Laurent's family scattered across the room. There were multiple photos of Simone and Hermes in the home, both photos that could date back to the beginning of their relationship and more recent ones. With every photo was a large smile on Simone's face, Hermes often was looking longingly at her with pure adoration. Their love for one another was apparent from mere photographs, it would be foolish to claim that they weren't actually in love.

After taking a moment to look at photos of Simone and Hermes I spotted a photo of Laurent on the end table closest to me. From afar it appeared to be a photograph of Laurent simply holding up an award, however, at a closer glance, it became evident that Laurent had previously won a writing award. The Laurent in the photo had shorter hair and a larger than life grin, he exhibited pure happiness.

As I looked at the photo the sound of footsteps crescendoed, Laurent and Simone appearing in a matter of seconds. Laurent still looked worn down and tired, he displayed the same familiar expression as he did earlier in the day.

His eyes failed to meet mine for awhile, when they finally did they seemed empty and disheartened about life itself.

Before reaching the last step of the staircase he paused, clutching onto the handrail. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Simone completed her steps and began to put on some boots, getting herself ready to go out.

"I've got a few errands to run, I'll be back in about an hour. Laurent, be a gracious host to our guest," Simone stated, heading out the door soon after.

Even after the front door shut to indicate Simone's departure, Laurent remained frozen in his tracks. Laurent simply stared at me, awaiting an answer to his prior question.

"I'm worried about you," I candidly expressed, standing up from the sofa.

Laurent nodded and completed his descent from the staircase, walking towards me and taking a seat on the sofa. In response to his actions, I took a seat once again, Laurent inching away at my action. If it were possible to flinch from not being touched, Laurent had flinched from my rather simple action. His wounds were tender and it appeared that he himself was as well.

"As much as you can say that you're fine, I cannot help but feel as if you're not. Laurent, you can tell me what happened and what's going on. That is, if you're comfortable doing so," I stated, waiting a minute for a response that failed to come before continuing, "Friends are there for friends, through thick and thin."

"I suppose that you're right," he murmured, his eyes looking away from mine, "I don't know where to start."

"How about at the beginning?" I offered.

Laurent lifted his gaze and found my eyes, preparing to explain everything and anything. From his motion it became evident that he was willing to open up to me, properly confronting me instead of running away.