"Did you learn any new words?"

I open the front door and we step out into a breeze that cools my warm skin.

"Many... I learnded many new words." She says, leading the way to the car.

"Learned honey... the word is learned not learnded. So which new words ones did you learn?"

"I don't know." She sings. "They were many words... I cannot remember them all." She chuckles.

"Don't be smart with me young lady."

She stops and looks at me with a cheeky smile before she responds. "Enormous."

"Enormous." I repeat proud that she gets the pronunciation of the word at the first try. I watch her grin and feel the guilt. Not taking her to preschool is a big regret of mine – I however push it to the side knowing that in a year and a few months, it will be compulsory to have her in school and maybe I will be okay with it then. Trusting her with Mrs Ainsworth is proving to be effective and I find that worrying doesn't come easily anymore.

When my car is brought round, I look back at the house – it makes me feel uneasy but I get in and drive away keeping the thought at the back of my mind.

****

It took Mrs Ainsworth three days to contact me and by then it was Friday evening. She did not sound herself but she told me that Monday would be work as usual. I had gone on to ask her whether she was alright but she only responded with a sigh and an unimpressive 'I'm okay dear'. Now I sit here with my head in a book as Emma sits on her table putting a puzzle together. It is how we spend our 'fun' Saturday afternoons but this time; I can barely concentrate because Mrs Ainsworth's demeanour on that day and the phone call won't leave my mind.

"How is that puzzle going darling?" I ask, hoping that a conversation with my daughter will occupy my mind.

"Fine." She says, not bothering to look my way. I am surprised she even heard me speak.

"Would you like some help?"

"No mummy, I can do it all by myself." She sings, sorting through the pieces. She proceeds to stick her tongue to the corner of her mouth as she fixes the piece in its right place and she beams when it settles. "See." She laughs and lifts her head to show me raised eyebrows.

"Are you bragging Emma?"

She scrunches her nose, confused. "What's br- bagging?" I laugh at her attempt at the word before I explain.

"It means to show off."

I expect her to laugh but she looks at me wide-eyed.

"I wasn't showing off mummy." Her breathing suddenly rises as her eyes begin to sparkle. I am taken aback and do not reassure her right away but as she slaps her hand and roughly folds her hands over her chest, I snap out of my surprise.

"Oh no honey... it was a joke."

Her eyes do not settle. They hold an angry scowl that is too adorable to be scary and I struggle to hold my laugh. "Honey serious, it was only a joke." It seems my explanation makes the corners of her lips fall and before I can stand to comfort her, her wails come. "Awww." I coo, lifting her from her seat. Emma hasn't cried in a while and I had completely forgotten how easily she gets upset over a slight tease. Just as I take her hands away from her face to wipe her tears, my phone buzzes.

"Who could it be now?" I question under my breath, irritated. "Emma, mummy has to answer the phone." I utter over her reducing sobs, placing her back into her chair. I reach into my gown pocket and retrieve my phone – Adam. I'm shocked to say the least and it shows in the way my heart jumps into a rhythm that drums at my back.