What if it was all an illusion? What if he only liked her because of her father? It would shatter her perception of him and their budding relationship. Maybe it was foolish to not ask, but she didn’t care. She wanted a few more hours of ignorance.

The trail turned steep as it winded up the mountain. They walked along huge angular slabs of granite and stone. Loose boulders and jagged rocks covered the area. They sat hazardously on top of each other, looking like an ill-fitted puzzle. It gave the impression that one giant earthquake could send it all tumbling down.

Her feet and knees took a beating as she hiked across the rugged terrain. She stopped a couple of times to rub her joints and flex her ankles, but the reprieve did little to dull the constant throbbing. She relied heavily on her hiking poles, letting the thin steel rods take the brunt of her body weight.

As they gained elevation, her breathing turned shallow. The air was thin and her body was working hard to acquire enough oxygen. Graham noticed her struggle and slowed the pace down considerably.

“Let’s take a break,” he said after hiking through a tricky section of the trail.

She nodded, too tired to speak. Her lungs were on fire. She placed her hands on her thighs and bent over, panting for air. When her breathing turned normal, she leaned against a boulder and gulped down water.

“You’re doing great, Alexis. Just keep hiking like you’ve been and we’ll be at the summit before you know it.”

The pride and encouragement in his voice was sandpaper against her tender emotions. She closed her eyes to stave off the pain. A part of her resented how at ease he seemed with the situation. There was no trace of discomfort or remorse in his expression. Needing him to feel her pain, she lashed out.

“Is that the same thing you said to your friend who almost died?”

Immediately, she regretted the question as his body went motionless. He stood like a statue with his arm lifted and a water bottle hovering over his lips. The only indication he was alive was the visible pulsing in his neck.

“I-I’m sorry,” she stuttered, “I shouldn’t have—”

Suddenly, he was towering over her with his arms braced against the boulder above her head. The muscles stood out in sharp relief as he leaned down so his face was only an inch away. Raw pain darkened his eyes.

“I understand why you are upset,” he said in a low, tight voice, “but if you have questions about your father and how I know him, then ask me. Don’t pull away and attack.”

She flinched at the fury simmering beneath the surface. It radiated off of him in great waves. Too late, she realized she made her own betrayal. He’d opened himself up to her and she used it as a weapon to hurt him.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered with genuine regret. 

He gave a jerky nod and stepped back. “Are you ready to talk about it?”

“Here?” she squeaked, cold terror striking her heart. Mentally, she wasn’t prepared for this. She was hoping to put it off till they finished the hike and had a hot meal in their bellies.

The harsh edges of his anger dimmed as he witnessed her panic. His eyes gentled as he took off his pack and rested it against a rock. “I’ll tell you everything. What do you want to know?”

Resigned, she rubbed the bridge of her nose with her index finger. Where to even start? There were so many questions. “How long did you know him?”

“Six years. We met through mutual friends. Occasionally, we would hike and rock climb together.” His tone was composed and even as he picked up a small rock and heaved it across the trail. “We weren’t close, but we hung out in the same circles.”