Chapter 3

“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.” —The Fault In Our Stars

Chapter 3

“Are we almost there?” Her eyes flickered over the grey rocky terrain. They were too high in elevation for trees and shrubs to grow. There were only rocks—piles and piles of sharp, treacherous rocks.

“The answer is the same as it was the last five times you asked.” She smiled at the hint of exasperation in his voice. He’d managed to keep his temper in check for the last hour, but it was slowly starting to deteriorate.

“I’m sorry,” she said with mock sincerity, “Am I annoying you? I didn’t mean to.”

“I already said it was an accident,” he said through clenched teeth.

“So you keep saying, but how can I be sure you? You could have been trying to take advantage of me.”

She’d woken up that morning pressed against the side of the ice-cold tent. She tried to roll away, but Graham was plastered to her back making it impossible to move. One arm lay heavy around her waist while his face nestled in the slope of her neck. She could feel his chest rise and fall in an even rate as he slumbered. She nudged his stomach, trying to wake him, but he grumbled a few ineligible words against her skin and went back to sleep.

When he finally opened his eyes, he bolted upright, looking adorably confused. Disheveled, he shook his head a little, as if to make sure he wasn’t dreaming. Locks of dark brown hair fell into his eyes and hastily he pushed them back, but his fingers caught in the tangles. Impatient, he yanked out his hand and backed away. His cheeks turned red as he pointed to her and then to him.

“Did I….Did we—?”

Alexis had to bite her tongue to keep herself from smiling. He looked so embarrassed, even his ears were bright red.

“I didn’t mean to,” he quickly explained after scurrying to the opposite side of the tent.

Truthfully, she adored the contact. Being cocooned in his arms made her feel protected and cherished. She wanted to wake up in his embrace every morning, but she wasn’t going to let him know. Seeing him flustered was the highlight of her day. His composure rarely slipped so when it did, she took advantage. She needled him all morning, deriving great pleasure from his discomfort.

“Maybe this is part of your nefarious plan,” she continued, ignoring the grumpy look he sent over his shoulder. “Lull the sweet, innocent hiker into your tent and—”

“Sweet?” he interrupted with a small snort. “You nearly bit off my finger when I asked if I could have some of your trail mix yesterday.”

“That’s because you steal all the chocolate!”

“I do not.” His tone was pure male arrogance as he lied through his teeth, but she didn’t call him on it. She would let him keep his dignity—for now. Happiness bubbled up inside her chest. Their playful banter made her feel light and carefree.

“And for the record,” he added, abruptly stopping in his tracks and turning to face her, “I do have a plan concerning you.”

“Finally admitting you want your wicked way with me?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I’ve always wanted that.” He gave her a slow, deliberately provocative smile. “It just doesn’t begin till after we finish this hike and you get a chance to take a shower.”

Her eyes widened partly in shock, partly at his presumption. She did not smell! Her lips moved to form words, but no sound emerged.

The glint of desire in his eyes melted away as humor took hold. He tapped the end of her nose. “Better close your mouth before the bugs fly in.”