Her jaw snapped shut and he let out a deep, languid chuckle. The sound was rich, warm molasses that trickled down and coated her senses. Dazed, she wondered if it was possible to die by over stimulation. 

“Let’s go ladybug, we still have a long way to the top.”

She moved to follow, but froze mid-step as his words registered. “What did you call me?” she asked, shock coloring her voice. She’d never told him her father’s nickname for her. It was the one thing she hadn’t discussed last night.

He turned, a wide smile on his face. “I said, ‘Let’s—Oh.’” The smile slowly faded till it turned into a grim white line.  

Her heart thudded violently beneath her chest. “How did you know?”

“Alexis—”

“Did you know my dad?”

He grabbed her shoulders and hustled her to the side as a group of hikers passed. His tall, lithe body towered over hers. Normally, she would have leaned into his touch, but now she shirked away. His eyes narrowed at the movement and he shifted closer till their bodies met. Needing distance, she crossed her arms over her chest like a barrier and leaned back.

“Alexis,” he murmured quietly as his voice took a hard edge.

“Answer me, Graham,” she said, not backing down. Her tone was pure steel. She could tell he didn’t want to. Refusal set in the harsh lines of his face. “Did you know my dad?”

The muscles in his chest bunched under his shirt as his hands tightened their grip. He pinched his lips together and nodded. “Yes, I knew your father.”

For a few moments, she stood completely still, letting herself absorb the information. Then, the impact of his statement hit and she drew in long, jagged breath.

“Alexis?”

Stony silence filled the air. Her stomach twisted itself into a tight knot as she tried to untangle her emotions. They were all there—anger, confusion, disappointment, but perhaps the biggest of all was the sense of betrayal. Its sharp barbs pierced her heart, drawing blood.

“Say something,” he ordered. His fingers digging into her flesh as he gently shook her shoulders.

She let her lashes fall, afraid he would see how much his admission had hurt her. She wasn’t a trusting person, especially with men, but she’d given him the chance. Hell, she practically offered him her heart with outstretched hands and he crushed it in one fell blow. She berated herself for giving him the power to hurt her so badly. Hadn’t she learned anything from her mother?

“There’s nothing to say,” she answered neutrally.

“Nothing?” he asked, his tone reeking of disbelief.

After years of compartmentalizing her emotions, it was easy to fall back in the pattern. With cold detachment she shrugged and steadily met his gaze. “Can we go?”

He scrutinized her for a breathless moment, his eyes delving into hers. She kept her defenses strong, refusing to crumble. Finally, with a blank face, he dropped his arms and stepped back. Without a word, he turned and headed back to the trail.

Relief flooded her body, but there was a tiny undercurrent of disappointment swirling beneath. It was stupid, but a part of her wished he hadn’t given in so easily. She wanted him to fight—for what, she didn’t know—but she wanted him to do something, not just walk away.

For the next hour, she silently trudged behind him. Her mind was hub of activity. Questions and theories darted around in chaos till she was positive she would explode. Several times, her mouth opened to ask him a question, but nothing ever came out. She kept telling herself it was because she was too angry to speak, but deep down, she knew the truth. She was terrified of the answers he might give.