The World Rewritten

Years Ago

A boy sat at his piano with his twin sister. Writing music. Singing songs they had hand written on their own. Quite impressive for 2 children some might say. These children had a fine life. But nothing can last forever. When the twins were each 5 years old respectively, they would start mourning the death of the only mother they'd ever know. She was a kind woman- beautiful too. With her long dirty blonde hair and strikingly deep blue eyes. She had love her family as much as one could ever. She had been born in Italy, fell in love, and ran off to America with a young man who would soon be the father to her two lovely children. But that wasn't enough reason for the sickness she had had to stop in the proses of taking her life.

Shortly after this unfortunate event that would haunt the children for ages, everything changed. Their father was the opposite of their glorious mother. He had shaggy brown hair and glowing green eyes. A drunk became of the man after his beloved wife died. This drunkenness lead to having his children bear the weight of his anger. He was too drunk to clean his house that used to be a home. Too drunk to make his own meals. Too drunk to love his children. This showed in the bruises they wore. There were some night when the man couldn't control himself. When the man didn't want to control himself. This was one such a night.

The children had just finished their chores for the day and sat down at the old betten down piano to write songs of a life different for their own at the time. Little did they know their father had too much to drink that night and was watching them from the hall. He yelled at them. Telling them they were useless. He blamed them for his lovers death at first. But once the man realized he could have people afraid of him. Everything changed.

He marched up to the terrified children and grasped the girls arm. The boy tried to yank his sibling from his fathers but his grip was too strong. The boy was rewarded for his efforts by a slap in the face that sent the small child onto the ground where he cradled his cheek. The girl ripped herself from grasp on her arm and ran to her bother. The two children cowered togeather that night like they had so many nights before.

The man made an effort to grab the girl again but was too drunk to see what he was doing. He instead, got ahold of the boy and ripped him out of his sisters embrace. The cries of two children were herd. The mad started kicking his son who was cowering in the fetal position on the ground.

The boys arms moved firm over his head for a second. Long enough to see his twin start to move toward the older man. He shook his head to her. She couldn't get hurt. Not again. The mad had taking a liking to her. If the boy had anything to say about it, that would stop. Ever since the abuse has started, he had protected his sister. He could always do so but she has so many fewer bruises then he and the boy took pride in that. While their father went out to work, after the chores had been donethey would sit at their piano and write. When the old man returned he would drink. Then- if he hadn't passed out from the intoxication- he would beat the life out of his children. Because of this, the boy otter got in the way of his abuses toward his sister. That only gave him a worse beating than the one he was about to receive.

This first time their father had hurt her she hadn't been out of bed for a week. The boy would never let that happen again. Not until he was dead. After an hour of the mans punches, kicks, and words that hurt more than the puches and kicks ever would toward his son and the girls screams, the man finally stoped. The boy lay there in pain. The mad said a final warning to the pair of children and retired to his bedroom.

The girl practically ran to her brother. "Anthony?" She shook the boy and spoke gently. "Anthony, sei brava?"

"Sí" Anthony barley mumbled.

The girl almost laughed in relief. "Pensi di poter camminare?" Her brother had saved her life so many times. Now it was her turn to save his.

"Non lo so- non lo so. Maria, fa male. Fa male." Anthony replied. Tear we're now steaming down his young face. No one should ever have to deal with such pain.

"Lo so. Lo so. Ora vediamo do farti salire fuori da questo piano, va bene?" Maria placed her hand on the small of Anthonys back and helped him to his feet. He whimpered and her heart broke. Whispering words of encouragement the whole way, she lead he brother to the door of their home.

"Dobbiamo lasciare adesso Anthony."

"No, non possiamo"

She looked at him like he was crazy. "Ti ucciderá, Anthony! Sai Che lo fará se non andiamo via."

Anthony shook his head. "Saprá se entrambi siamo partiti. Lui verrá dopo di noi." He states weakly.

Maria thought for a second about what to do to save her beaten brother. "Puoi camminare da soli?"

"Penso che sia così..."

"Allora partirete. Lo resterò." Maria said definitely.

Anthony moved out from under the arm around his shoulders and stood in front of Maria. "Maria, no! Non posso lasciart!" He still had tears in his eyes and his cheeks were wet.

"Si, puoi. E lo farai. Fugherò domani. Lasci subito. Trovare una nuova casa per noi. Ti troverò. Promettere " Maria leaned her forehead against her brothers and tears were shed from both eyes. She kissed his forehead. "To voglio bene fratello."

"Ti amo anche, mia sorella." Anthony Higgins looked out at the streets he now called his home. He shared one last hug with his sister, Maria Higgins, then set off into a new life.

Present day

Racetrack Higgins sat up in bed. Terrified at the nightmare he had just had. No it wasn't a nightmare. It was a memory. A memory of when his life has been rewritten. No one in the newsboys lodging house heard the quiet whisper of a brother who misses and longs for his sister.

"Come home to me, sorella..."