Overstepping The Boundaries

Start from the beginning

There was a chorus of groans, which had me smirking.

"What? You thought you signed up for Ms. Kale's level two copy-and-paste class? You may want to run now if you don't wanna put in the effort, because I can assure you, this class takes a good deal of it."

I actually saw a few people get up and leave after that, which made me chuckle under my breath before pulling out the textbook I required for the class.

"There will be homework assigned tonight, but since the book store is currently out of the textbook this class requires, I'll give you until next Monday to get it done. I don't accept late assignments without an amazing excuse."

There was another round of groans, but I ignored them and flipped open my book.

"If you don't have your book today, share with someone near you."

I waited a minute while several students got up and found someone to share with, but when I heard my desk chair being pulled out, I glanced sideways. Bah, sure enough, Tanner...

Everyone else has a partner... pleaseeee? I don't wanna be behind.

Darn puppy eyes. Those were supposed to go away once he'd grown up.

If you misbehave at all during this class, you're getting an F on your first assignment, I warned him through our thoughts.

I'll be good. I promise.

I rolled my eyes but decided to let it be. In fact, I had most of the stories and books memorized so I just slid it in front of him. There was a bunch of highlighted areas and marks I'd made, but it was still easily readable.

"Alright, we're reading the story on page fourteen aloud and then writing four paragraphs about it, and no, paragraphs are not three sentences. I want to see at least six solid sentences each about what other genre you think this story could be in, besides the one it is marked. Understand?"

There were some excited yeses but mostly just dull grumbles as everyone acknowledged the assignment.

"Okay, Tanner? You're reading first, I'll tell you when to stop."

I expected him to groan about being picked on and whatnot, but he only nodded and began reading the first few pages. While he began reading, my heart found itself swelling with pride at how well he was able to manage the story. I had to remind myself to let others read and after the third page quickly called on two more students to finish the story. Once it was complete, I told them to work quietly on their assignment. I let my eyes wander around the room to be sure everyone was working and occasionally checked on what Tanner was writing from where I stood, then when it looked like most of them were done, I gave the announcement for the homework.

"You are to read the story 'To Grow Up With A Wolf'', and have a one page summary of it when you come to class next Monday. I think I can let you guys go early today, though, so hand in your assignments to me, and then you may leave."

That at least got their energy up as I quickly got bombarded with papers. Tanner was one of the last students in the room as I gathered everything up in my duffle and headed for the door. When he didn't follow, I noticed a few of my other students talking to him about his music career and grinned.

"See you later, Tanner," I called out, though I wasn't really sure why I'd bothered to say that. Anyway! Time to get home and make some dinner for Orlando, Rowin, and Daise. I headed outside to my SUV in the parking lot and dropped into the driver's seat after tossing my bag in the back, only to get no response when I turned the key to start it.