"Noelle." Her father was exasperated. "I cannot agree to that."

"Why not?" she sputtered, "What could be more important than your word?"

She watched as her father reached a fleshy hand up to loosen his expertly-tied cravat, "Exactly my point. There is nothing more important than my word—" she looked hopeful for a split second before he continued, "—to the duke that is, and that is why I will not be going back on it. Do you want me to be taken for the fool?"

Of course, she didn't, but neither did she want to spend the rest of her life in a loveless marriage to a man she had never met. She had heard of the infamous Duke of Kerrington. Everyone had, but hearing of his reputation as a heartless rake didn't exactly endear her to the idea of being married to him. Noelle felt like she was losing the battle and she didn't take to losing well, especially when something so important was at stake.

Turning tear-filled eyes on him, she asked in a quiet voice, "Why did you do it?"

"Some things aren't meant for a lady to understand."

"Try me," she quipped coolly, trying to gain some sort of understanding.

"Fine, if you think that knowing what motivated the arrangement will make it easier for you to comply, then so be it. I wagered your hand in marriage to him in a card game, and he won. I knew he needed a wife to provide him an heir. How fortunate for me, I had just the thing that he needed. I figured, if he won, it would benefit him and you both, seeing as you need a husband whether you are willing to believe it or not. I didn't go into the game intending for him to win, but he did, and I could not very well go back on my word now could I? There, does that make you feel better knowing all the sordid details?" he growled.

"Does it make me feel better to know that you honor your word with a practical stranger more than the agreement you had with your own daughter? Hardly. Nothing you do, short of calling off this absurd arrangement, will make me feel better."

"Don't be so dramatic, Noelle. You aren't the first lady of society to enter into an arranged marriage, and you certainly won't be the last. And pouting about marrying a duke does not become you, my dear. You appear spoiled to complain of it as such a trial. There are many girls out there who would willingly, and happily, take your place."

"Then let them," she quipped before standing once more. "I've suddenly lost my appetite. Please excuse me." Before her father could oppose, she was walking briskly out of the room. The moment the thick door shut behind her, she found her resolve had disappeared. Warm tears trickled down her face, obscuring her vision, but she forced herself to keep walking, lest someone see her and question her actions. The minute she entered her bedchamber, she flung herself across her large bed, weeping into her pillow.

She felt betrayed by her father. How could he have done something so selfish? She had always taken pride in the fact that her father allowed her the freedom to dictate her own future, within reason of course. He had strongly encouraged her to find a suitable gentleman to settle down with, one with a title and a good reputation and preferably plenty of wealth, but he had never been one to force her into things. This most recent development both shocked and bothered her.

When the tears had finally been spent, she rolled onto her back and wiped the remnants of the crying from her face, and began pondering on the Duke of Kerrington and everything she had heard of the man. She had to admit that she had never paid attention to much of the gossip of the ton, but there was only so much you could avoid, and the duke had been the center of many rumors and speculations over the years. The gossip suggested he was a heartless rake bent on seeking his own pleasure and caring little to nothing for the hearts he left shattered in his wake. He was reputed to be cold and held little regard for society and its expectations. No wonder such a man would acquire a wife through gambling. Most men, any gentleman at least, would not stoop to such a low. At least Noelle hoped that was the truth. Before today she also would have thought that no true gentleman would likewise wager his daughter's hand, but she had been proven wrong.