Lawrence Manor. The thought of seeing her new home drove away Rosalind's repugnance at the reminder of her aunt's spoiled pug. Suddenly eager to see what she could, she leaned towards the open window. Only the trees lining the driveway were visible.

"Sit back, child."

Disappointed, Rosalind sat back obediently. As the carriage slowed, she stopped clinging to the seat and instead clasped her gloved hands in her laps. Her palms were sweaty beneath the fabric, and her heart began pounding.

What if Mr. Lawrence and his daughter didn't like her? What if they thought she was not worthy of being associated with the family? Would they send her away? Where would she go if they did?

The carriage came to a stop, and Mr. Lawrence was the first to disembark when the door opened. He assisted his wife out and then held his hand out to Rosalind. For a moment, the girl thought she saw a bit of kindness in his blue eyes.

"Rosalind! Do not dawdle! Mr. Lawrence, hurry the girl, would you? We don't want to keep your brother waiting."

Feeling her cheeks heat up, Rosalind caught up her mother's reticule and climbed out of the conveyance. Her breath caught in her throat as she had her first good look at Lawrence Manor.

It towered above her, the stone walls precisely as she envisioned a castle would look like. The windows seemed to sparkle even though the sun wasn't shining. Before she could take in any more details, the front door opened.

Mrs. Lawrence caught her hand and tugged her forward. "Come along, child. You mustn't stare. It is rude. Oh, why couldn't your mother have thought to teach you basic manners."

In the hall, the marble floors gleamed brighter than anything Rosalind had ever seen. The floors of the flat where she'd grown up had been dull wood. The room had also been small, a sharp contrast to the open space of Lawrence manor.

"Mr. Lawrence! How good it is to see you, although I must confess these are trying times, are they not?"

With a start, Rosalind pulled her graze from the spotlessness of the entrance. To the right, a tall gentleman, his brown hair peppered with gray, was coming towards them. He was dressed in tan trousers and a dark brown tailcoat.

"Gerald, Mrs. Lawrence," he said, his voice gruff. "My apologies for not being on hand. We were not expecting you so soon."

"Were you not? I know I sent a letter informing you of our intent to arrive today," Mrs. Lawrence said with confidence. She pushed Rosalind forward. "Well, here she is — your poor sister's only child. Well, go on, Rosalind. Greet your uncle and thank him for giving you a home."

Trying to hide her trembling hands, Rosalind made her curtsy. She forced herself to meet his gaze, worried to see the same disdain Mrs. Lawrence had shown from the start.

Instead, amidst a stern face, she saw the same eyes she was used to seeing in her mother's face. Tears welled up in spite of her determination not to cry again. Crying wouldn't endear her to anyone. Mrs. Lawrence had said as much.

"Welcome to Lawrence Manor, Rosalind," her uncle said, reaching out and taking her hand. "I'm sure you're eager to meet your cousin. Mrs. Lawrence, why don't you take her up to the nursery. Emily ought to be in the middle of lessons with Miss Henderson."

For a moment, Rosalind's head spun with so many Lawrences in the same room. How would she ever be able to keep them all straight?

At that moment, a laugh echoed and Rosalind caught sight of a figure sliding down the banister of the staircase. "Good heavens!" Mrs. Lawrence exclaimed. "Emily Lawrence! Why I never—!"

Giggling with glee, the brown haired girl hopped to the ground. Rosalind held her breath, expecting someone to scold or to get angry.

"Well done, Emily. You didn't fall off," Mr. Lawrence, who was still holding Rosalind's hand, said with an approving nod. "Come and meet your cousin. She's going to be staying with us from now on. She will be your companion and, I'm sure, your friend."

Blue eyes bright with mischief and delight, Emily skipped over. She was shorter than Rosalind, so she had to tilt her head a little to look at her. "Hello, Rose," she said, her tone cheerful. She bobbed a curtsy. "I'm Emily."

"Manners, Rosalind," Mrs. Lawrence said, her voice a hiss.

Slipping her hand free from her uncle's grasp, Rosalind curtsied to her cousin. Emily caught her hands. "I'm so glad you're here," the younger girl said. "I just know we're going to be the best of friends."

The smile that came to Rosalind's lips wasn't forced as she nodded her agreement.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading this sequel to Emily's Choice! I hope you enjoy it!  As the title says, this my original, rough draft, so there are mistakes

Author's Note: Thank you for reading this sequel to Emily's Choice! I hope you enjoy it!  As the title says, this my original, rough draft, so there are mistakes. If you would like to support the author and read the polished, edited version (without any ads to annoy  or distract you), you can pick up an ebook, paperback, and hardcover copy!