002. the orphan

the next morning, after we ate breakfast, mother and i headed out to town, to see our new shop which i was told was named 'léone's in bloom'

i adored everything about it except the fact that it meant mother would be working and i'd see less of her. marcel was with father back at home, helping him with crops and such. we were almost there, and i couldn't help but watch the beautiful autumn landscape. summers were always the most difficult, as well as the winters. autumn and spring were perfect for that matter.

when we got there, we tied our horse, jessie, to a post close by and we stared up at our own shop. it was pretty, a pale blue and green colour displaying it proudly. we stepped inside and began working.

hours passed and not even then had we finished with the shop but the door bell rang and a uncertain figure stepped through.

"oh my, matthew cuthbert, is that you?"

a man wearing a sullen grey hat and coat stumbled in, looking merely lost. he looked much older than mother did.

"t-theresa? i-i recognised uh, the-" he turned to the door, "the sign; there's only one léone i know," he said, turning back around and facing mother.

"well, what can i get you? what's the occasion?"

the man stuttered whilst his eyes wandered around the shop. i stayed near the back and listened closely.

he finally caught up with his words, "actually, i wasn't looking for anything particular, i-" but mother was already searching through the flowers.

"how is marilla doing? i'll take a guess and say she's still as stubborn as ever, did she ever choose to marry?"

they talk about 'marilla' until they both make their way towards the back.

mother insisted on introducing me to the man who's name was matthew cuthbert and talked about how alone i am now that i'm away from my friends, making me burn in the cheeks.

"alone? well, my—our anne is very much alone too as we speak."

mothers eyes flashed open and she questioned matthew about this anne, was she his daughter, niece or neighbor, she asked.

he looked down and smiled, "anne is staying with us and just like josephine, she'll be starting school soon. if it isn't a bother— i mean, josephine is always welcome to visit and meet our anne, she is a very kind girl."

the way matthew went on to describe this anne made me both curious and nervous. i wanted to be worthy of this anne's kindness and spirit. if this was going to be my first friend of avonlea, she better be the best.

yellow and blue or grey and white? yellow and blue or grey and white? yellow and blue or grey and white?

i picked up the yellow and blue dress and carefully put it on, tying the ribbons on my back and in my two front braids.

my blonde hair, green eyes were staring back at me in the mirror. i was nervous. what if she thought my dress was out of fashion? what if i say the wrong thing?

the possibilities of mistakes were endless. marcel stepped in at that point and started his annoying questions. he was a whole year older than i was and annoyingly defensive.

"who's anne? do you know her, was she a customer?" his constant questions reminded me of mother.

i sighed, placing my brush back into its place and looked up at him, "hopefully, she will be my first friend."

he shifted his weight, "do you know of her brothers?"

"no brothers, just anne."

he nodded and walked out, running downstairs. i followed him down and said goodbye. he waved and i opened the door and walked towards dad in the barn. he was tending to some animals when i came behind him and told him that i will be at the cuthberts and that my return would be unknown. he mumbled something that i didn't hear so i kissed him on the cheek and began my walk.

mother told me the directions. she did say that anne didn't live too far away which was good. if anne were to be my friend, we'd be able to see each other regularly.

the woods were swarming with flowers, all kinds which i didn't know the names of. i spotted some ramsons, bluebells and honeysuckles on the way. would it be bad if i preferred anne to my friends at dawsbury?

the cuthberts fence came into vision and i started jogging lightly. i opened it, closed it and then skipped to the front of their door. their home didn't look much different from my own although our house was a little bigger.

i knocked three times and stepped back, my heart thumping louder than i could hear my troubling thoughts.

the door opened and there stood a girl, her lively red hair, astral blue eyes and a wide smile beaming at mine.

"what a pleasure it is to make your acquaintance, josephine léone, you're golden hair is is extraordinary! brighter than the sun itself," she voiced, sticking her hand out for me to shake.

i took her hand into mine and stepped closer, "it's a pleasure to meet you, anne and thank you, you're hair is a beauty," i proclaimed, shaking her hand until we both erupted into fits of laughter.

the red headed girl didn't think so, she described her hair as the bane of her existence. i've never seen such a delightful crimson in my days of living. anne was one of a kind, that was for certain.

anne had a basket of food with her and insisted on taking us both out to a picnic near the woods. she spoke a lot, it calmed my nerves down, i seemed to be peaceful around her, she even complemented my dress! the more we walked, the more i found out about anne. the cuthberts were in search of a boy to work but instead, they got anne. she told me stories about the asylum and about the train ride to avonlea. she spoke about how she ran away because she thought marilla and matthew didn't want her. there was nothing but greatness about this girl. she spoke so fluently and talked words my parents didn't even use.

the picnic was lovely, we sat on a checkered cloth and ate bread with jam and grapes (anne didn't like the purple grapes).

"matthew did tell me that you'll be going to school? do you know anyone from around here, anne?" i questioned, taking a bite out of the bread.

anne set down her tea and spoke excitedly, "i met the most wondrous friend just a few hours ago! her name is diana berry and she's enchanting, graceful, gorgeous and... fair! imagination isn't her strong suit, she said so herself but i have enough to spare and i'm very sure you will adore her as much as i do and she will like you just as much!"

i smile brightly at her words, anne saying that this girl will be my friend. "she sounds amazing, anne! i hope she does like me, i can't wait to meet everyone, don't you?"

"i must admit, i have never been as excited as i am at the thought of school! it must be different than the asylum, it ought to be," she went on, comparing such a dark, horrible place to a land where dreams came true.

she told stories about princesses, her imagination running wild among the woods surrounding us until the sun began to gradually lower itself.

anne and i swore, not a bad kind of swear but more like a promise, that we'd be forever and eternally by each other sides.

i had made a friend.

a best friend.

a/n:

i'm a shitty writer oKay but i'm so motivated right now and i've already got like 7 more chapters planned out lmao. i hope this isn't too boring. please comment if you spot a mistake or if you think it's boring.

j. x