PROLOGUE

Suddenly, I was plunged in total darkness. Everything that happened moments ago vanished in a snap along with the light that used to fill the now dark and cold room I am in. Here we are, inside a room on the third floor of our house. A house located deep in the forest. A house secluded from most people's sight.

All I can hear is my mom's steady breathing. I don't know what to feel, but I can feel the overwrought beating of my heart. It seems like I'm scared of something I don’t even know of.

"They're here" mom whispered as she frantically searched for something in her pocket. "B-but... who?... what's happening?" I faltered. Confusion and anxiety filling me. I lost track of the time and I seem to be engulfed in a thick haze. Everything was dreamlike. I don't know what's real and what's not.

"Here, take this," mom told me. I can sense urgency in her voice though her face showed no sign of panic. She shoved something onto my hands. A circular piece of metal; surprisingly warm in my touch. It seemed to pulse with life. "What is this?" I asked. My hands trembling. "It will protect you." She answered in a whisper as she leaned on the door. She stood there: listening. I did the same. My heart started to beat fast as I heard muffled footsteps that seem to grow louder by the minute. I didn’t know what to expect, but part of me knows that something detrimental is going to happen.

The steps came nearer and my heart raced; banging hard against my ribs. Then the sound of the footsteps came to a halt. I strained to listen but deafening silence answered me. A voice in my head kept saying "Run...while there's still time." More silence followed as I waited for what was going to happen next. It felt like my eardrums are going to pop. We're sitting ducks. We trapped ourselves in what used to be a room. Now, it seems to me that this is worse than prison now. We have no means of escape. There is only one thing ahead. DEATH.

I tried my best to stay still and to control my body as fear crept slowly through my body like cold that will freeze me eventually. My heart raced even faster. It felt like I’m going to explode any second. Mom raised a hand. A gesture that told me to stay still. I felt really scared. I held my breath; anticipating what would happen next. I took a step towards my mom. The wooden floor creaked as I placed my foot and I saw mom's head turn towards me and her gaze met mine for a fraction of second. Then there was an explosion and I felt myself crash against the wall along with debris and shards of glass. The door blasted open.

I felt something warm dripping on the side of my head. Blood. Mom was on the other side of the room with deep cuts on her cheeks and arms. She stirred feebly and then I saw her reaching for something near her stomach. Then I saw it, with my very own eyes. A gleaming sword was stuck in her gut. Her hands fumbled as she pulled the hilt of the sword. Blood flowed through her fingers as she tried to cover the wound with her hands; blood also dribbled from her mouth. I didn’t know what to do. A mixture of surprise, fear, panic and anger to whoever did it rushed through my veins. I ran to her. My veins pulsed with anger and despair as I watch her bleed to death. I knelt beside her. I was there but there was nothing I could do. My vision was obscured by tears. She touched my cheeks with her bloody hands and with all the strength she could muster, she said in a voice that came out more like a croak than a whisper;

"R-run"