I was sitting in such an uncomfortable position right now. With Omar right in front of me and his parents and my parents right beside me; so that they could notice my reaction. Zahra kept giving me the "oo lala" look every now and then and I had to look away to resist from laughing.

"Safa do you remember Omar? You guys are childhood friends", Omar's mom, Abeedah, said changing the topic. She had the same huge smile, my mom had right now. Both the families couldn't just wait for the marriage. I still had to know if Omar was convinced on this wedding or not?

"I think I remember a little", I replied with a smile. She nodded. "Of course. Yeah I don't think you remember much. But Omar does, right?" she said as she turned to her son. Everybody now was staring at Omar.

"Hm?" Omar replied as if he just came out of some deep thinking and wasn't even paying attention. He glanced at me and then looked back at his mother. "I don't remember actually. But I guess we were friends", he said. His smile was more fake than the plastic gold studs my sister was wearing.

His mother smiled. "I'm sure you guys will get along very well. I have a very good feeling about this", she said. Omar gave her a smile and then looked away. Reading his expressions, I realized he too was against this marriage. I was starting to have good feelings about this. If both, the groom and the bride are not ready, no one can force us!

"Jameelah and Ahmed, I think it's officially time", Aunty Abeedah turned to my parents. My parents' faces were beaming with happiness and excitement. Not to mention the faces of Omar's parents. Haneen sat down beside me and nudged me to get my attention.

"You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?" she whispered in my ear. I looked at her. "What are you thinking?" I asked. Before she could answer, Uncle Harris' voice hit my ears.

"Jameelah and Ahmed, we are now officially asking your daughter's hand in marriage on behalf of our son Omar", he said. Happy laughs erupted in our living room.

"You don't have to be that professional Harris", my dad said with a laugh. Uncle Harris laughed too. "Well this is a serious matter", he replied.

"We find no flaw in your son and we sincerely pray and hope they both live a happy and joyous life", my mom said stroking my hair.

"And we find no flaw in Safa. She's a wonderful girl who will keep my Omar very happy. Right, Omar?" she turned to Omar once again. Omar only gave his mother a smile and then looked away. I didn't know if my parents were acting or were they too happy to notice Omar's rude behavior?

"We accept this proposal on behalf of our daughter Safa. You agree, right Safa?" my mother said as she looked at me sternly. The words "just say yes" were clearly stamped on her face. I smiled and then looked down as if I was blushing. I didn't want to copy what Omar had done but I also didn't want to say yes in the struggle of not copying him.

"Then I think we should begin the preparations. We have a wedding to attend", Uncle Harris said as he stood up to hug my dad. My mom hugged aunt Abeedah.

The work "Mabrook" filled the air as everyone got up and hugged each other. Aunt Abeedah kissed Omar on the forehead as my mother hugged me and kissed my forehead. Why couldn't just this be a nightmare which would be over as soon as I wake up?

✩Fareedah Ahmed✩

I watched as everyone hugged each other and as everyone went and hugged Omar and Safa. I hugged Aunt Abeedah too but my emotions weren't the same as her. Omar was getting married? And I wasn't his bride?

The whole world started spinning around me as I glanced at Safa. She wasn't smiling but I knew she would be happy. Who wouldn't be happy being Omar's wife? I wanted to shout out and tell everyone to stop with the hugs. I wanted to marry Omar. All my life, I had been planning our wedding in my head and now it wasn't even happening? Omar was getting married to someone else? How could this happen? I didn't want this to happen but what could I do? Nothing was in my control. Their wedding was basically all planned out.