Chapter Two: New Beginnings

I had awoken from a restless slumber by the first rays of morning light. Well, that and my mom tickling me in my highly ticklish spot—my hips. After I had calmed down from laughing, I noticed we finally arrived in Lake Hope, Wisconsin after four days of what felt like endless driving. I glanced out the car window at our new, bluish gray two-story house with a decent front yard.

"What do you think, Honey?" Mom pushed a loose strand of my brown hair behind my ear and waited for my response. She peered at my face with hope. I knew she felt guilty for moving us away from San Diego; I sensed it in her gentle touch. She feels terrible for moving me away from my best friend. I know she does.

I smiled a little. Just enough to reassure her. "It's cute." And it was.

Now, I stand in my new, box-filled white-walled bedroom at 7:30 A.M. I glanced down at my Scooby Doo pajama bottoms, T-Swift t-shirt, and really trashed, tan Ugg boots. I'm sure my hair isn't a pretty sight either. I yawned. "Maybe this is all a dream. Maybe I'll wake up soon." I blurted aloud, a tinge of sarcasm in my tone. I half wished for it to be a dream so that Drey and I could laugh about it together.

"Nope, you're not dreaming." Mom piped up when she entered my room. She was followed by a tall boy carrying a box marked with my name. "Oh, Honey, this is Blaine. He offered to help us." Mom noticed my gaze and seemed to read my mind. She gestured from Blaine to me. "Blaine, this is my daughter Grace."

Great. Wonderful. Fantastic. I'm wearing Scooby Doo pajama bottoms in front of a really cute guy. I feel so humiliated. I feel childish.

"Hi, nice to meet you." Blaine gave a slight nod. Then, he put the box he was carrying on the floor and stretched out his hand.

I managed to smile as I placed my hand inside his. Mine appeared quite small compared to his. "Hi, nice to meet you...too." I paused before saying too. How dumb did I sound?

Blaine smiled, showing off deep dimples. "Welcome to Lake Hope." He let go of my hand, withdrawing his hand into his hoodie pocket. I made a mental note that burgundy was definitely his color. He turned toward my mom and added, "My mom wanted to let you know that if you needed anything to not feel afraid to ask. Oh, and she wanted to invite you to her neighborhood women's club tonight."

I raised an eyebrow. Cute boy helps us with unloading. Same cute boy's mother somehow knows who bought this house. Either his mom spied on us as we pulled into the driveway and unloaded the car or she is a weird psychic lady.

Blaine met my gaze. His hazel eyes seemed to twinkle with amusement. It was as if he read my thoughts. "My dad's the realtor your mom talked to about this place."

Oh. That makes better sense.

I smiled sheepishly. Probably blushing, too.

"Aw, that's so thoughtful and kind!" Mom beamed. "Blaine, please tell your mother thank you, and that I would love to join her club. Also, thank you for your help."

He smiled that dimpled smile again with a small nod of his head. "I'll tell her, ma'am. You're welcome; it was my pleasure." Blaine turned to leave my bedroom when he noticed my acoustic guitar leaning against the wall closest to the door. "You play?" His hazel eyes were on me again.

I felt my cheeks warm as I nodded slowly. "Uh, yeah. Since I was in fifth grade." I must have mumbled it because he tilted his head a little to the side. Gosh, darn it, Grace! What has gotten you so tongue-tied? I repeated myself, speaking up this time.

"Cool! I've been playing mine since then, too!" His excitement over having a neighbor who played guitar seemed super genuine.

After Blaine left, mom and I focused on putting our new house into order—starting with our bedrooms and bathrooms. I refused to call it our new home. At least, not yet. I still thought of San Diego as our city, and I still thought of us as Californians.

Two and a half hours later, I sat on the kitchen stool, eating a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios. As I ate, the doorbell rang suddenly. Mom was in her room talking on the phone with Drey's mom; she was describing our trip, the house, the neighborhood, and the women's group invite. I'm happy she's excited. I just wish I could share in that cheer.

The doorbell rang again. Whoever was at the door was persistent. I slid off the stool and walked to the door. Thankfully, I had changed out of my pajamas an hour ago and was now wearing dark blue, high-waisted shorts, a hot pink T-shirt, and black Converse sneakers.

I peeked through the blinds and noticed a young brunette standing outside. She held what appeared to be a plate of cookies or brownies. I unlocked and opened the door, greeting the girl. "Hi."

The girl looked to be Latin American, or possibly half Latin, and she appeared to be about my age. She had on black leggings, a teal Dance Is My Cardio tank top, and matching teal Puma high tops. Obvious observation told me she must be a dancer.

"Hey there! Welcome to the neighborhood!" She greeted giddily. "My name's Daniella Benson. I live right next door." She pointed to her left—my right.

I glanced at her house; it was light gray and two-stories tall with a well-maintained and beautiful lawn. I remembered admiring the flowerbeds when we drove past her house, especially the rose bushes. I smiled. So Daniella lived in that house! "Thanks. Nice to meet you– I'm Grace Lincoln." My hazel eyes turned back toward her, studying her. "What'cha got there?" My eyes settled on the plate in her hands. They were indeed cookies.

Danielle smiled. "Nice to meet you, as well! And these are chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and sugar cookies for you and your mom. My mom, sister, and I baked them." She held the plate toward me to take, and I took it. She beamed with pride and joy.

"Thanks! So sweet of you all."

"Anyway, I came to also let you know that if you wanted a tour of Lake Hope, Blaine and I are heading into town in twenty minutes. You don't have to come, if you don't want to come. But you're welcome to join!" She started to ramble.

I chuckled. "Sure, sounds fun. I'd love to join you both."

"Okay!"

Daniella started to walk away, but stopped halfway down the driveway. She turned around. "I'm gonna change first, so meet us in front of my house in twenty!" Then, she made her way back to her house.

This was going to be different for sure. A really cute, helpful boy-next-door; a super duper friendly girl-next-door; and apparently no privacy in our new neighborhood. This was not the city. However, I also knew I should give small town life a chance—albeit a small one.

Twenty minutes later, I stood on the sidewalk outside Daniella's house. She stood next to me in dark blue, ripped skinny jeans, a red Shawn Mendes tank top, and matching red Vans. I got the feeling she liked to match her tops with her shoes. Parked next to the curb was what I assumed to be Blaine's blue Ford truck. He sat behind the wheel, leaning forward to open the door for Daniella.

"Hey, Blaine, Grace is joining us." She climbed into the shotgun seat. "Thought we should show her around."

Blaine smiled at her, then at me as I sat in the middle seat in the back. "No Scooby Doo?" He referred to my pajama bottoms earlier, obviously. I mentally cringed and rolled my eyes at him. Daniella appeared confused. "Nevermind." Blaine chuckled as he pulled the truck away from the curb and drove toward town.

I guess things can work out okay. Blaine and Daniella seem cool. Besides, it's only for a year. Then I'll be at Stanford with Drey.