CHAPTER ONE

( word count : 1,183 )

CHAPTER ONE:HOSPITAL BLUES

CHAPTER ONE:
HOSPITAL BLUES

     GINNY HOPKINS WAS JOLTED OUT OF THE DARKNESS by a voice yelling her name. She blinked groggily, pain shooting through her skull as the young girl adjusted to her surroundings. She identified Archie who was panicked, looking down at her, blood covering the totality of his body, shirt, and hands. Maybe a few minutes had passed since she was knocked out and she noticed Pop hovering in the distance with his phone up to his ear.

"Gin? Gin!"

"W-What–" Ginny began to piece together what had happened and jolted off of the ground and looked around.

"W-We gotta go!" Archie yelled at her as he moved back to his father and lifted him up with Pop's help. Ginny scrambled to follow, her head banging in pain from the gun hitting her over the head. What had happened and why was Fred Andrews shot?

Archie slammed his car door shut, his father in the middle of the truck with Ginny on the other side, tending to the wounded man.

"The ambulance was gonna take too long," Archie muttered to Ginny, his hands shaking as he attempted to insert the keys into the ignition.

Fred was going in and out of consciousness and it was worrisome.

"Hold on, Dad. We're almost there. We're almost there. They're gonna fix you up. Stay with me, Dad, stay with me." Archie was driving with one hand, the other one clutching his fathers weak one.

Ginny barely focused on Archie's terrible driving, keeping her hand pressed to the wound in order to keep the blood from pooling. She had no idea if she was doing it right– she hoped she was.

They had finally made it to the hospital and Ginny rushed out of the car, helping Archie drag his father indoors and towards a nurse.

"Help, please. Help, hey! Someone help my dad!" Archie's voice sounded broken as he called out for help.

A nurse poked her head out of the doorway to see the trio, immediately calling out for help. "Gurney!"

"What happened to him?"

"He was–He was shot." Archie choked out as reality became overbearing.

The nurses and doctor took over, bending over Fred to talk to him.

"Sir, can you hear me?" One asked, looking down at the older mans bleeding figure.

"Can you tell me your name?"

"His name's Fred Andrews." Archie told them but it seemed like they weren't even listening to the distressed young boy.

"He's not responding. Massive blood loss, it looks–" Nurse called out and Ginny looked on in shocked.