chapter 14

When they got back to Key Street, armed with the food, Tony beckoned Lily to sit on his knee while they ate. He was glad to see her appetite was slowly coming back and although she looked tired again, she definitely had more colour in her pale face. She started nodding off so he carried her out to the car to take her home. He had already told Jaxin and Natalie she fell asleep a lot due to still being so weak. He also knew she had a check up at the hospital the next day.

He carried her into the house and lay her down on the sofa, pulling the blanket he now kept down there over her. He finished doing the laundry and got the bags of Lily's shopping out of the car. She slept for a couple of hours and when she woke up Tony was holding her hand.

"Hey" she whispered.

"Hello there" he laughed gently. She sat up slowly and he wriggled closer to her for a hug.

"I bought you something earlier" she shyly told him. He stood up to get her bags and she pulled the t-shirt out and gave it to him.

"You really don't need to ya know" he said, smiling anyway.

"I wanted to - I knew you'd like it" she said, quietly.

"I bought you something too" he told her. He went out to the car and came back carrying a small box. He gave it to her and she opened it, finding a charm bracelet inside. One charm was of a star, another of a sun and the last one, a moon.

"Oh Tony, I can't take it. It must have cost so much."

"I want you to have it. You mean so much to me already. I really like you and like having you here with me. Please take it or I'll be sad" he said, giving her puppy dog eyes.

She smiled and fastened it around her wrist.

"Thank you" she whispered. He lifted her face up towards him and gently kissed her.

Tony went into the kitchen to make them something to eat. Lily opened one of the bags from earlier and pulled out a ball of cream coloured wool and a crochet hook. She started making a baby blanket for Natalie's baby, alternating with a pale green. She thought using neutral colours was a safe bet. In just a few minutes she had made a small square and kept on going. Tony came in with some pasta in a tomato sauce and looked shocked at how much she had done in such a short space of time. She put her things down to eat and helped him clean up after before starting again. He was fascinated by this growing piece of blanket and how quickly she did it.

"Where did you learn to do that?" he laughed.

"YouTube" she smiled. "I really wanted to learn so a few months ago I went on there and learned."

"It's amazing" smiled Tony.

He flicked the tv on and found them a film to watch, while she crocheted away. Within a couple of hours, it was finished, with a pretty yellow ribbon running around the edge.

"It's for Jaxin and Natalie's baby" she told him, smiling at the finished product.

"You are one of the most selfless people I've ever known. And the first person I've ever known who can do that" he smiled, admiring the blanket.

He could see her growing sleepy again so scooped her up off the sofa and carried her up to her room.

He went to change into something more comfortable while she put her pyjamas on, then went back into her room. He wrapped his arms around her, instantly making her feel safer. They lay down together, snuggling up to each other when Tony leaned over for another kiss. It was more passionate than their previous ones and they both felt an electricity shoot through them.

"I really like you Lily. You make me feel complete" he whispered to her as he ran his hands up her back. She ran her hands through his silky hair and looked up at him.

"Stay with me again tonight" she said. They kissed again and both fell asleep thinking of the other.