ii

When Mat came to however many hours later, he felt stickier, groggier, and all around grosser than he'd felt in a considerable amount of time. He could barely open his eyes and the tiny amount of light that brightened the room gave him an instant headache. He groaned and managed to roll his head to the side in order to survey the rest of the wrecked kitchen.

Red Solo cups littered the surrounding counters and party-related debris sat alongside. The floor was trashed and Mat was surprised that the various electronic appliances throughout the kitchen were still functioning. After a moment or two, Mat had built the willpower to sit up and open his eyes as fully as possible. He immediately felt dizzy and almost fell off of the island, but -with some miraculous strength- managed to sit up. He slowly rubbed his collarbones -which were as sticky as the rest of him- and squinted at the floor next to the island he was sat on. It took another moment for his eyes to adjust, but when he recognized who was sitting on the floor beside him, he sighed.

"Mike?" Mat whispered. He leant down, groaning as his back twitched, but managed to tap the top of Mike's head a couple times. Mike grunted and rolled his head onto his shoulders before looking up at Mat. He smiled sleepily and turned himself so that he was facing the island.

"G'morning. Or afternoon," he mumbled, moving to his knees and leaning up to peck Mat on the lips. Mat hummed happily, closing his eyes and basking in the warm feeling that bloomed across his cheeks. When the feeling passed away, Mat took in how cold he actually was. He looked down at himself and realized that he was clad in merely a pair of Calvin Klein boxers and one sock. He shivered and swung his legs over the edge of the island. He slowly lowered himself down and sat beside Mike, taking in as much body warmth from Mike as possible. Mike rolled his eyes, but pulled off his hoodie, leaving him in nothing but his jeans. Mat smiled and gratefully took the garment, slipping it over his head. He chuckled when he found himself practically swallowed by the fabric, the sleeves coming past his hands and the body of the sweater coming to his mid thigh.

Mat stuck his hands into the pockets of the hoodie in an attempt to warm up his cold fingers, sighing contently at the heat he felt cascade over them. He gripped onto Mike's phone -which was sitting inside of the pocket- and waited a moment before he pulled it out. He furrowed his eyebrows as he scrolled through the notifications on Mike's lockscreen. "Your phone is blowing up," Mat said idly, blinking tiredly as he scrolled through the seemingly endless amount of notifications from Twitter and Instagram. 

Mike shrugged lazily, rubbing his hands over his face. "It's probably something about Rich White Girls. We did just drop it the other day."

Mat found himself clicking one of the twitter notifications, his eyes widening as he read the tweet. Linked below was a news article by Clevver, which Mat shakily tapped on, his lips parting as he read the headline. "Mike," he began, to which Mike looked at him, humming. "'Are Mike Posner and 'idfc' singer Blackbear in a relationship?'"

"What-" Mike cut himself short with a choked off splutter, his eyes widening as Mat continued to read.

"'I Took a Pill in Ibiza" singer Mike Posner was recorded last night taking body shots off of singer-producer Blackbear' -at least they got my title right- 'at a party hosted by a fellow socialite. The two have been working together since their days writing songs for pop sensations such as Justin Bieber and just recently announced their collaboration on a new band called 'mansionz'.' -Yada, yada, yada, all info on us and our careers... Ooh!" Mat smiled and turned so that he was facing Mike with his legs crossed. "'The two had been spotted earlier in the night practically sitting on top of each other and were later taped getting a bit more intimate. Scroll down to see a video recorded by another partygoer.'" Mat looked Mike in the eyes and his smile faltered just a bit. "Do you remember this?" he asked, "or were you as drunk as I was?"

Mike shook his head and gently took the phone from Mat's hands. "I was pretty sober," he said before he clicked on the play button on the video. It showed Mat sprawled out on the island he'd woken up on, and Mike over top of him, doing some things that they wouldn't call particularly straight. He tapped the screen of the phone and left the video as soon as he saw Mat's hands slip into his hair -in the video- placing his phone on the floor in between himself and Mat.

"Fuck, Bear." They both turned to look at each other with worried expressions. They'd been together for a while at this point and still hadn't had anything longer than a brief conversation on their coming out to the public. Brief conversation actually meant one of them accidentally bringing the subject up and the both of them shaking their heads in distaste. As they both stared down at the phone, -screen still lighting up with notifications- Mike's hand reached out and he placed it on Mat's knee. He smiled hopefully, but his eyes were still a bit downcast.

"It was gonna happen eventually," Mat mumbled, leaning forward so that his forehead fell on Mike's shoulder. "You should see the amount of comments on your Instagram that claim you came out 'just yesterday'." Both Mat and Mike chuckled at that, their eyes brightening a bit.

"I'm pretty sure that people just assume that I'm queer at this point," Mike teased. Mat snorted and punched Mike's shoulder.

"It used to be the opposite, y'know. You were the straight boy and I was the emo fag," Mat reminisced. They both laughed at that and then went quiet, pressed up against each other with their bodies touching the side of the island in the middle of the kitchen of someone they couldn't remember. Eventually, Mike broke the silence.

"We should probably put something on Twitter," he said. "We don't want any... False information going around, right?"

"That's probably a good idea."

"Yeah."

They looked at each other and then Mike reached down and picked up his phone. He stared at the screen -still lit with notifications- for a moment and then he turned it on. He swiped across the screen a few times until he found the Twitter app. Mat stared at the phone in Mike's hands hopefully, a small smile pulling at his lips. This was a good thing. They weren't hiding anymore. They were out and that's all that Mat could've asked for.

When Mike tapped his phone screen and opened the app, he was bit surprised. Instead of seeing hateful words in his feed, he was met with emojis that resembled the pride flag and rainbow hearts. People were congratulating him, telling him how proud they were, telling him that he and Mat were couple goals. He smiled ear-to-ear, scrolling through the praise. Mat read along with him, watching Mike's fingers as they tapped the bright screen. After a few minutes of awe-struck staring at the positivity, Mike looked up at Mat. The smile he gave Mat was tight-lipped. Mat chuckled and leant forward to tightly embrace his boyfriend.

"I love you and I want everyone to know it," Mike whispered. Mat gave Mike a bright smile and buried his face in Mike's chest. They sat like that for what seemed like hours, although it was just a few minutes. When they pulled apart, Mike was smiling again. Mat rolled his eyes and took Mike's phone into his own hands. He opened the camera app and looked at Mike with a smile. Slowly, he leant in and pressed his lips to Mike's. He held the phone up so that it captured their side profiles and took a picture. Mike smiled into the kiss and cupped Mat's face with his hands. They both pulled away and Mat opened the Twitter app again. He composed a tweet, just the picture of them kissing and finished it with the caption, "i think he's finally happy". He looked up at Mike one time before tapping the screen, sending the photo into the realms of the Internet and confirming that yes, singer-producer Blackbear and 'I Took A Pill In Ibiza' singer Mike Posner were quite gay and very much in love.

-

Later, when Mat had finally found his phone and he and Mike were in an Uber on their way home, he opened the Twitter app and started typing a reply to the post he had made from Mike's phone.

"'don't worry. i'll get him to shave the mullet'".