5. A Message

A week after Blitz's capture, on a Jedi cruiser.
Third Person POV

Captain Rex reports to the bridge, where he has been called by General Skywalker. There, around the communications, stands the general and his padawan, Ahsoka Tano.

"Rex, we have an incoming message," the general anounces. "And I think it's meant for both of us."

"Is it her?" Captain Rex asks. He has been hoping to hear word of the cadet ever since her capture on Kamino.

"Not sure yet," Skywalker admits, "but it's from a Separatist base."

Ahsoka opens the incoming message, and they see both what they had hoped for and hoped against. Blitz is cuffed to a vertical metal table, unkempt and obviously in pain. She has dirt on her face, and the sides of her uniform have been burned, as if a heat source had been held against her. She's blindfolded. Beside her, Count Dooku stands, his hand outstretched toward her, the source of the pained expression on the clone girl's face.

"Oh," Ahsoka gasps. Skywalker lays a hand on his padawan's shoulder.

"Go ahead, dear," Dooku is saying to the cadet. "Give your message."

The girl grimaces. "G-general Skywalker, C-captain Rex," she stutters, trying to fight against both the words and her metal restraints. "I-if you're listening... this is... CT-7897, Blitz. Th-they want to... trade, sirs. Me... in exchange for General Sky-Skywalker." For a moment, she seems to break free of Dooku's hold on her mind. "Don't do it," she pleads quickly. "Don't come for me! It's a trap!"

Suddenly, lightning seems to shoot from Dooku's fingertips, striking Blitz's chest and midsection. The girl screams in pain, and the transmission is cut off.

"I know," Captain Rex sighs, running a hand over his face. "It's a trap. We can't save her."

"Hang on a second," Skywalker interupts. "It may be a trap, but that doesn't mean we can't help her. After all, the Jedi Council tends to agree when hostages are involved."

"But Master," Ahsoka pipes up. "How will we know where she is when we reach the Separatist base?"

"That, Snips," Skywalker smiles, "depends on how well you memorize the map of the base's layout."

Ahsoka sighs. "I should have seen that coming."

But when the day of the trade comes, Blitz is nowhere to be found. General Skywalker, Ahsoka Tano, and Captain Rex are lucky to escape Dooku's sanctuary alive. They have no clue where the captured cadet is, and they are no closer to rescuing her.

Blitz's POV

When Dooku releases me of the electric current flowing from his fingertips, I can do nothing but gasp in pain. I had known he would be angry at my addition to the message, but I couldn't lead General Skywalker and Captain Rex into a trap. If they came for me, I wouldn't even be here. I had already been sold, as a slave for King Katuunko of Toydaria. I would be shipped off as soon as the message was concluded. So, now.

"Ventress, make sure she gets changed," Count Dooku orders, walking out of the cell.

Ventress uncuffs me from the table and dangles a skimpy red and gold outfit before me. After the first new burn on my side, I change without fuss. My brown hair is left in its ponytail, but a gold choker is added around my neck. Now I look the part of a slave, too.

Tears form in my eyes, but I hold them back. Just a week ago, I was a cadet for the clone army, and now I'm being sold into slavery. I can only hope I will be doing the most mundane tasks. I couldn't bear to... I can't even say it.

Ventress loads me onto a small ship and within moments we're on our way to Toydaria. The ride there is silent, and so is the transaction with the king. Me, for a shipment of spices. She leaves me then, and even though I won't miss her, I'd rather be anywhere but here.

"Come, girl," the king calls from his throne. "Let me have a look at you. What is your name?"

I walk up to the king and stand before him as he inspects my face. "Blitz," I answer.

"You will call me master," King Katuunko snaps angrilly, his hold on my chin becoming much rougher.

"Yes, master," I say at his expectant look. But I'm no good at controlling my tongue. "Didn't realize master meant slimy, worm-infested-"

I don't get to finish my insult before I'm knocked to the ground by a slap to the face. Grimacing, I stand, and the king focuses his mind on something else.

"Blitz," he considers, then shakes his head. "I don't like it. From now on, you will be known as Sarli. Thank me for your new name."

So, insults result in pain, but I need to test the limits. No better time like the present. "No, my name is Blitz," I reply in an even tone.

King Katuunko lashes out, his fist barreling into my stomach and sending me tumbling down the steps. Even the slightest touch to my burnt sides is excruciating, but this brings tears to my eyes. I stand and face him.

"Sarli," I agree, wincing and placing a hand over my bare stomach. "I like it. Thank you, master."

"Good," he praises. "You learn quick, Sarli. Now, come and kiss my cheek."

I can feel my face pale as I stare, wide-eyed, at the king. But I do as he says, trying to hide the disgust I feel.

The king smiles down at me. "Yes, you will do just fine."