Chapter 7

Geralt and Nix had been staying in Carsen for 3 days now, and Nix only grew more anxious with each passing day. He wanted to leave here and head for the safety of Kear Morhen. Geralt had picked up on this anxiousness long ago. He was starting to think that they would have to leave Carsen early and head to another town, one that was a bit farther away from Oxenfurt. He understood why Nix was like this. His father no doubt realized that the witcher had failed to return his son, and might have sent out search parties. If any were to head to the surrounding area, Geralt would end up in major trouble for saving someone. Though, most people would argue that it was kidnapping.

Nix had been extremely careful of who saw him. He even went as far as to not leave the room. Geralt was OK with that, since he didn't want a repeat of what happened the first night they arrived. The poor kid was terrified. No doubt the after effect of his previous treatment. 

Geralt had managed to round up enough money to buy Nix proper, warmer clothes and shoes. He even found a comb to finally be able to untangle the long, snow white hair that he had been trying to untangle since the first day he met Nix. Nix greatly appreciated it since the mass of hair was even starting to bother him. The two were about ready to leave, at least to a city along the way to Kear Morhen, so that they could stock up on other supplies before making the long trip. 

Things however were rushed when Geralt came storming in, startling Nix, and quickly scrambled to get everything together.

"Geralt, what's going on?" Nix asked, confused to no end.

"We need to leave. Now. I just saw a notice saying that you've been kidnapped. Your father is looking for you, and it isn't safe here for you anymore." Geralt kept on gathering things together and rushed downstairs to tie everything to Roach's saddle. Nix quickly followed behind and got into the saddle before Geralt did. Once the witcher mounted up, he wasted no time in setting out, not wanting to sit out in the open for any longer then they had to. He didn't want to risk someone turning him and Nix into the guard for fear of having Nix land back into his father's grasp.

Just Geralt's luck. He hears shouting and urges Roach to a sprint down the path, then quickly cutting through a field to put as much distance from the guards as possible.

"What was that for? You just took off so suddenly." Nix whined slightly, apparently not liking the fact that Geralt was pushing the mare faster then she normally could go. 

"I heard the guards. It sounded like someone tried to turn us in just as we were leaving." The ashen-haired male replied, unconsciously wrapping an arm around the smaller male's waist and pulling him in closer. 

"Oh. I see. Well at least we were able to get away then." Nix leaned back and sighed. He liked having Geralt close. The witcher made him feel safe, though most people would call him crazy for feeling safe so near a witcher. People seemed to hate or despise Geralt.

And that made Nix feel sorry for him. All Geralt was trying to do, was protect people. Granted he only did it for the money, most of the time. But now days you can't always live without money, and nothing was done for free anymore in the world of the normal. So why should Geralt work for free when nothing else is free?

The hetero chromatic didn't know why things were the way they were. But he decided to stop thinking about it, and enjoy having his savior so close for now. Geralt leaned his forehead against the back of his head and seemed to nuzzle his face against Nix's hair. Nix laughed, finding this to be a bizarre behavior for Geralt to exhibit.

"Geralt, what are you doing?" Nix asked and could feel the witcher shrug behind him. Nix lifted a hand up to rest it on Geralt's head, and ended up petting him. He didn't know why, but he just did. Geralt hummed lightly, apparently liking that. But soon the witcher moved and looked up to watch the path ahead and to keep a look out for anything dangerous. In the mean time, Nix decided that since the trip would take a while, he was gonna take a nap to pass the time.