Chapter One: 12 Days Until Christmas

December 13th, just a day like any other. Snow fell upon the Lucian citizens within the walls of Insomnia. Students sang festive songs in schools, a constant rush in all of the stores across the city, and decorations made the city shine like crystal. The air may have been cold, but the lively spirits and baked goods made the citizens feel warm inside.

Inside the Citadel, a royal banquet and ball were being prepared inside the mighty building.

"Ignis...the sun isn't even out yet. What are we doing here so early?" The fatigued prince groaned as he trudged behind his advisor, having just woken up not too long under the pretenses of a hot breakfast at a snazzy uptown cafe. 

"We are here to pick up Princess Lunafreya and Prince Ravus. They wished to join us. Then we will go get Gladio and Prompto before actually going to the restaurant." Ignis explained, his quick pace slowed to make sure the sleepy prince wasn't lost.

The mention of the fair princess made Noctis more awake. "Luna, you say? Well, then I guess a small delay wouldn't hurt." His pace quickened, eager to see her. His job at the sushi restaurant had become very demanding for him in the last few weeks and thus hasn't been able to see his beloved as often as he would like to.

Inside the elevator, Noct's phone played a small 'KWEH', signaling Prompto had just texted him. He checked the phone, following Ignis as they stepped off the lift and towards their destination, all while responding to the funny dog gif his best friend sent him. When he did put his phone away, he noticed he was in the throne room. 

"Ah, my boy, glad you could come!" Regis boomed from the throne, slowly getting up and going to his son.

Noctis internally groaned. "Hey, Dad. Are you ok?" He started to go up to him to assist, but the king held up a hand to stop him.

"I'm fine," he grunted, making it to the bottom steps. "Noctis, walk with me. I need to discuss something very important with you."

"Uh, yeah, sure. No problem, Dad." He gave a quick death glare to Ignis, who in turn gave a thumbs up.

As they walked through the empty halls of the Citadel, Regis began to talk with his son.

"Noctis, as you know, the annual Christmas banquet is coming in less than a fortnight."

"Yeah, Dad, I'll be sure to be there. I was gonna ask Luna if she wanted to come with me today at IHOP."

"Oh, that's nice. Not sure how Ravus would feel about it, but nice. Anyways, this year, it's more than just showing up. I want you to help me plan the banquet itself."

This really caught him off guard. "Wait, what? Really? You want me to help plan one of the biggest events of the year?"

"Of course. My father included me in planning when I was your age."

"Was this before or after daemons invaded Lucis in the middle of the day?"

Regis only chuckled. "Oh, Six I can't believe you remember that lame story."

"How could I not? Daring adventure and engaging combat at every turn." Noctis laughed in return, sighing happily as he remembered the night the story was told to him.

"Anyways, back on topic, I do want you to help plan at least one banquet."

"I don't know, Dad. This is my first day off in a while. I have a hectic schedule these next few weeks, I don't think I can."

"Don't worry about that, Noctis. I gave a nice little call to your work and told them you may need the next two weeks off."

"Oh, my Six Dad you didn't!" He covered his face with his hands.