10 - SOMETHING STRANGE

Start from the beginning

Dottie spied the strange and quiet boy too. "Sure. Are you going to mention last night to him? Because something was definitely in the woods. I've been trying to get it out of my head, but it's stuck in there pretty good."

Daisy gave her friend a tiny smile. "Yeah, I'll mention it."

The girls parted way, Dottie headed to the library to quickly hand in some overdue books, while Daisy flung her locker door shut and hurried towards Jonathan Byers. He was trying to put away his camera while balancing his newly developed photographs in his hands. With perfect timing, Daisy was able to help him gather the prints from falling to the floor. She glanced at a few in her hands, noticing many were taken in the woods. "Uh, thanks." Jonathan grumbled out, clearly a little shocked she had appeared out of nowhere.

"These are pretty awesome," Daisy said.

Jonathan reached for them, but the blonde was quicker, swiftly moving away before his hands could grab at his prints. Knowing he would follow, she slowly started for the double doors that led towards the student carpark. With a defeated sigh, Jonathan was slamming his locker door shut and following her. "Could I get those back?" he blurted out once the afternoon daylight hit their shoulders.

Daisy continued to flip through the photographs idly, "I'm really sorry about your brother." Her voice was quiet, her heart thudding in her chest. She had wanted to speak with Jonathan for a day or so now, wanting to tell him she knew the fear and doubt and blame that swirled around in his heart right now, for she had been there before. Hell, she was still there. But she hadn't been able to snag his attention until now. "It's really...well, it totally sucks. But I'm here if you need anything though."

"Thanks," His voice was clipped, staring at her hands while she continued to glance at his work and walk at the same time. His heart was loud in his ears, knowing at any second, she would find a few photographs that would start a very long and slightly uncomfortable conversation.

But the girl went on, "Actually, I went by your place with Dottie last night." Her head tilted up, looking away from the photographs and Jonathan paused, readying himself for whatever might come when Daisy Lonsdale finally came across the photographs of Nancy Wheeler. "We were dropping off a casserole. It sounds really weird, but we heard a sound, almost like an animal, but not exactly—"

Before Daisy could even finish her sentence, her voice dropped off as they came to stand near Jonathan's car and found four teenagers already waiting for him. Daisy was already frowning as Steve Harrington stepped up to both of them, his eyes staying a little too long on her. "Hey man," he leered over at Jonathan, who was very still suddenly.

"What's all this about?" Daisy spoke up first, eyeing Tommy H. and Carol who were pretty much groping each other. A new addition was with them today, Nicole Banks. Daisy didn't really know Nicole, but her signature red hair was rememberable. "Are you recruiting for the rich kids club or something? Before you ask, we're not even remotely interested."

Steve Harrington gave a little laugh with her comment, "Cute." His dark gaze quickly moved to Jonathan, moving closer towards them. "Actually, Nicole was telling us about your work."

"We've heard great things!" Carol chimed in, her beefy boyfriend humming in agreement.

Daisy was glancing back at Jonathan as the tension shifted in the air around them. "Yeah, and we would just love to take a little look. You know, as connoisseurs of art." Steve added in.

Quickly, Jonathan was moving by Daisy, her shoulder jerking forward as fear must have lurched though his heart as he accidentally pushed her. He started for his car but didn't have much luck. "I don't know what you're talking about." Tommy H. was grabbing him swiftly, the quite loner stumbling backwards.