"He-" I looked at my mother in horror and sympathy. "He hurt you"

Mom chuckled bitterly. I could see tears forming in her eyes, "I'm not innocent, Becca. I knew what I was doing. I wasn't that young, either. If I were you, I'd be disgusted about what I did"

"I'd never, mom-" I began.

"He was married" Mom interrupted, tears falling silently down her cheeks. I stopped, looking at her shocked. "And I knew it. Oh, God, I knew it, Bec! Everyone knew. I was just the misguided girl he was helping at the time. He helped me control my abilities, trust myself to not hurt anyone. To trust my powers" Her lips flickered in a small, bittersweet smile "I saw more of his kindness than he let everyone else see. I let my guard down. He slithered in, made me trust him and..."

Mom chocked up, unable to form words.

"Then I came in" I breathed out, shaking my head slightly.

"It was a mistake" Mom said brokenly. My tear-filled eyes met hers. "Not you, the situation. I never wanted you to grow up feeling like you got into the middle of a marriage. To feel like a bastard child"

"Too late" I murmured softly to myself, looking away.

"But at least you had a good childhood" Mom said sternly "That's all I ever wanted, that's what we agreed on" she grabbed my hands, making me look at her. She looked so ashamed and disgusted at herself that my heart broke for what she went through "I'm sorry, Becky"

"What about him?" I asked shakily. "Where is he?"

Mom sniffled, speaking quietly "He's dead"

I exhaled shakily, "And he wanted me to be special, like you?" I wiped away my tears, clearing my throat "Move the water or something?"

"It's different for everyone, he said" Mom explained. "While I was learning, I met some others with abilities, and there's no ability similar. They're all unique"

I wanted to distract myself of the thoughts running around in my head, "What do you think I can do?"

Mom wiped at her eyes, looking down at me "I don't know. But whatever it is, I'm sure it would be special"

As if. 

I forced a smile, looking down "They really wanted to help, didn't they?" Mom sighed, nodding, pulling out a piece of paper out of her pockets. I smiled teasingly. "Don't tell me one of them gave you his phone number"

"Mohinder Suresh did" Mom answered. I wriggled my eyebrows. "And wipe that smirk out of your face, honey. Whenever a Suresh is involved, bad things happen. I met his father a few months ago. They both want to help people like me, like us if you do happen to have abilities" She handed me the number. I grabbed the paper from her hands, looking down at it curiously "I was not interested before and still am not, but he was right. You could be. He gave me his number for that same reason. For you. If you ever need his help"

I gripped tightly the piece of paper, glad mom didn't take away from me the choice of asking for help. I looked up, "You know I still love you, right?"

A relieved smile broke out on her features as she engulfed me on her arms, putting her face on the crock of my neck.

I relaxed on her arms, hugging back tightly.

It was a few moments later when a crash in the kitchen interrupted our moment. Mom tensed, pulling away.

"Stay here" she ordered, wiping at her eyes and standing up.

I nodded, watching her walk away, staying silent for a few seconds, flickering my eyes upwards to an air vent in the ceiling instinctively. A light breeze blew my hair back as some form of static began to ring in my ears. I winced, putting a finger in my ear as I closed my eyes as voices began to filter, as if I was under water. I squinted my eyes as I tried to focus, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear, straining my hearing as I stared at the air vent.