CHAPTER FIVE

( FIVE : BOILING POINT )

ELISSA WOKE UP BRIGHT and early the following morning, the foreign calls of birds and the wilderness rousing her from her sleep

ELISSA WOKE UP BRIGHT and early the following morning, the foreign calls of birds and the wilderness rousing her from her sleep. Opening her eyes, she had to smile in wonder, her skin tingling at the sight: the forest around them had a layer of fog drifting through it, snaking through the trees above their heads.

Sitting up slowly, as to not disturb the girl who had decided the previous night to sleep next to her on the moss covered ground, she pushed herself to her feet and looked around. The rain from last night had left the area damp, the air smelling sweet. Unlike the chaos and high energy of the day before, the area around the camp was quiet, teenagers strewn about everywhere as they'd found random places to sleep. It appeared as though she was the one of the first to wake up, although she could see a few others stirring, some were nudging the faintly glowing embers in the fire pits from the previous day, hoping to rekindle the flame.

Elissa shivered when a light breeze blew through the trees. She was glad that the night had stayed warm enough that their clothes kept them comfortable. It had only rained for a little bit, but it'd been enough to damped their clothes. If the temperature had dropped another couple of degrees, it would've been miserable. They had no supplies, no blankets or extra clothes to spare if they'd needed to warm up.

Stretching her hands above her head, she yawned widely, before pushing herself to her feet. She felt more rested than she had in a long time, having slept through the whole night despite what happened yesterday. The forest floor had been surprisingly comfortable, and she didn't remember waking up a single time throughout the night.

Glancing around the area, she was a little surprised to find Wells nowhere in sight, even though she knew he had settled down not far from them last night. With a shrug, she dismissed the thought. Must be an early riser, too.

Taking a few steps, she froze, cringing when her stomach growled loudly. The sound seemed to echo through the clearing. She could feel the tips of her ears turn red in embarrassment, although no one moved or looked her way. They were definitely going to need to find food. She hoped that Clarke and the others would be back soon.

As she stepped past the entrance to the dropship, she could hear Bellamy's voice inside, and quickly scurried away, hoping to avoid a confrontation. Glancing around, something caught her eye and she frowned. Wells was sitting on a log slightly away from camp, his back facing the group.

Tilting her head to the side, she turned and made her way towards him. Coming up behind him, she called out softly, hoping not to startle him. "Hey."

At her voice, his shoulders tensed slightly but he didn't say anything in response. Biting her lip at his unusual behavior—he'd never ignored her before—she stepped over the log, sitting down beside him and peered down to see his face. She was startled at what she saw. Wells had clearly not had a goodnight's sleep; dark circles framed watery eyes as he stared out blankly before him.