3

Layla

I let out a quiet gasp of surprise, stopping abruptly in the middle of the sidewalk and quickly turning around, keeping my head down.

"Do you really think I was waiting here for no reason?" His loud voice follows me, and I look over my shoulder to see how he hasn't even moved an inch, remaining casually perched on the brick wall.

I let out a sigh and turn around again, realizing that I'll have to face him eventually - and now is better than worrying about when it'll happen.

"What do you want?" I ask, my tone sounding agitated and annoyed, but I'm actually nervous rather than the former two.

I'm struggling to comprehend that he's actually standing here in front of me, and that he has changed in more ways than one.

The biggest change, I guess, is that he looks the saddest I've ever seen him and all it does is make me want to walk up to him to give him a hug - to fix his problems.

I can't deny that I don't feel anything for Damien even after all this time apart, but that doesn't mean I'm going to act on these feelings.

I just find it difficult to let go of my feelings for someone who was such a large part of my life for over a decade, and I doubt I ever will.

"There's only one reason I'm back, Layla, and I think we both know who that is." He confesses, taking several steps towards me, not breaking away from my gaze.

But I do. I look away, shaking my head as I look down at my hand, the diamond mesmerizing me.

"I'm engaged, Damien." I tell him, feeling a pang of hurt in my heart when I say the words, unable to look at him because I'm not saying any of this to show off. To make him regret his decision.

When I look up, I breathe in deeply through my mouth, the two of us standing much closer now.

I don't even have to stretch to grab him at this point.

"Remember all those times you joked about us eloping?" He asks, and I close my eyes as I feel myself tearing up. "If Ryker asked you to elope with him, would you do it?"

"Damien!" I cry out, his question completely inappropriate. He left me, I remind myself.

"Layla." He mimics, raising his hand and pushing a tendril behind my ear, his knuckles brushing my cheek.

I don't move away from his touch, instead I suck in a breathe and savor it before it's gone.

Before Damien becomes sick of me and is unable to even fathom the thought of touching me - looking at me.

Maybe Ryker was right. Maybe he does have a right to be worried about Damien returning, but not for the reason he thinks.

"You should go back to where you came from, Damien, because nothing between us will ever happen again." I murmur, keeping my gaze steady and ignoring the tears running down my face.

"Aren't you curious about where I was?" He raises an eyebrow.

I can't deny that while he was gone, it was always a constant thought playing in my mind, but not anymore - not while he's here.

I'm just happy he's safe.

"No." I tell him truthfully and he can also see it as I see his eyebrows twitch, his eyes confused.

He takes a step back, as if my answer burst his bubble and he nods his head curtly, looking down.

It's only then do I have the time to appreciate him, my eyes taking in how his body fits that suit and I don't doubt it was specially designed for him.

"I hope to see you and Ryker at the charity event tonight." He walks away from me - again.