The Bunk Bed

At first, I didn't want to believe the stories about the quiet room. There's this one bunk in the quiet room at the office that I wouldn't want to sleep again. Before the encounter, it was my favorite because it's the most secluded part of the room, really dark and really cozy. I've slept there several times and most of the time I would have sleep apnia like I couldn't breathe. I would switch sides, but it still happens. Stubborn and skeptical, I still slept in that bunk several times. Until I had an encounter.

I was awake. My mind knows that I'm awake because I was staring at the wall. Then I felt a stroke of hand combing through my hair, tugging it a bit. I wanted it to stop. But I couldn't move. I tried to wiggle my toes. That's what they say when you have nightmares. Then, I was able to move my whole body. I woke up and still felt the plow of claw on my scalp.

Still I wasn't convinced. I continued to sleep in that area.  There was even a time, in the other bunk across the room, I saw a boy crouching and leaning really close to the person, watching her sleep. I laughed a bit. I thought to myself,  this person doesn't have a clue what's beside her.

Several nights passed. At that time, I really didn't want to sleep in that bunk. But I didn't have a choice. The quiet room was full and it was the last bunk. I slept thinking that the last time was just a coincidence. I laid down on my left side. They say to avoid having sleep apnia, you have to lie down on your side.  And so I did.

Halfway through wake and sleep,  I felt something heavy like someone was on top of me. I felt my neck tightening.  I turned. I saw a nun, wearing an old habit. The veil had a white cap attached like the nuns from the Sound of Music. But she was no Julie Andrews. Her face was filled with anger. Her arms were stretched forward  and her grip was beginning to get stronger around my neck. She was strangling me. I can hear a growl through her gritting teeth.

I shut my eyes and prayed. I forced my arms and legs to move until my whole body could move. I rose from the bunk bed and swore never to occupy that bunk again.