N9 Road ( South Africa)

The N9 is a national route in South Africa that connects George with N1 at Colesberg, via Graff-Reniet and Middelburg

The N9 is a national route in South Africa that connects George with N1 at Colesberg, via Graff-Reniet and Middelburg. This route is another place with reports of numerous paranormal activities.

Between Uniondale and Willowmore, in the semi-desert area of the Karoo there is a very well known story about a phantom hitchhiking girl.

On 12th April 1968, there was a car accident on the N9 road to Willowmore, near the town of Uniondale. The car, a Volkswagen Beetle, was occupied by a young off duty Air Force Lieutenant and his fiancé.It was a bitterly cold, stormy night.

The girl was asleep on the back seat of the car when the accident occurred.  They were on their way to tell their respective families of their recent engagement. 

Maria Roux was tragically killed in the accident and since then, a female hitchhiker has appeared at exactly the same spot several times.

Spooky incidents:

1.In 1978, a motorcyclist gave a lift to a girl who suddenly disappeared while they were riding at full speed. He said that he knew immediately she had gone because the change in weight distribution caugsed the bike to swerve.

2.On Good Friday, 1976 Anton Le Grange from Oudtshoorn was driving from Willowmore and was roughly thirteen kilometres from Uniondale when he saw a woman standing by the roadside.

She was short with brown hair and wore dark trousers and a jacket. It was around 7.15pm and it was getting cold, so Anton stopped his car and she got in the back seat.

As he continued toward Uniondale he tried to talk to the girl but she would not reply. It is only when he looked into the back seat that he realized that she was no longer in the car.

There have been many reports of people picking up a mysterious young girl on the side of the road, some hear her laugh… some hear her scream. And then she is gone.. Her ghost is the cause of fear and apprehension amongst locals passing through Uniondale at night.

A wattpad friend of mine shares a spooky incident that happened with her on the N9 road:

" I was riding with my brother on a motorcycle. It was around 11 pm in the night. We were returning from a real estate exhibition.

It was chillingly cold and the road was covered with dense fog. The fog made the surroundings look more creepy and we had heard enough spooky stories about this road.

I started talking to my brother about random stuff to divert my mind. After about five minutes of talking, I suddenly felt something cold on my shoulder. It felt like ice. I got extremely scared and screamed. And I saw fingerprints on my shoulder. The entire area turned red.

My brother and I got really scared by it. He started riding really fast and we both kept praying loudly till we passed through the road.

I still do not have the guts to go through that road ever again."

            A photo of Maria Roux

---------------------------------------------------------