Stars Need To Breathe

Start from the beginning

Interestingly enough, Alec’s sea glass green eyes did light up at Ruby’s clumsy attempts to court him. Those eyes were nonchalantly admiring her when Libby Trott galloped to where he sat.

“HEY FOX! Get your ass out of that chair!”  Alec stumbled to his feet, being yanked by the pint-sized princess. I started to chuckle, but I could feel Rubz burning beside me. Her cherry blossom lips puckered in; her soft jaw clenched in opposition. My fingertips started to burn as Libby squeaked and Alec started to sputter.

“ALEC! YOU’RE A GENIUS! *insert giggle*” Libby leapt to wrap her tiny frame around Alec’s 6 feet 4 inches. Her sandy curls bounced and her eyes, like melted amber, radiated as her smile widened, crinkling her freckled nose.

“HUH?!” was all Alec could respond with. His tan cheeks reddened as his perplexed eyes studied Ruby. They seemed to be pleading for her understanding.  But Rubz was scorching my skin. I could feel this phantom of fury clinging to her expressionless face. The hooded figure hypnotized its victim while reaching unholy nails to scar my skin.

The shadow, while concealing its face, shifted as the words “I PASSED!!!!!” careened into the air. I followed the implied eyes. The claws sank into my arm as Libby commandeered Alec’s lips. Ruby grimaced, but her phantom had already leaked into my veins. Before I knew what I was doing, my chair was skidding into a group of yelping girls. My legs hauled me to Libby, and my fist was breaking the air. Suddenly, as though my ears regained their will for sound, I heard Alec gasp, Libby whimper, Ruby inaudibly chuckle, and hellhounds barking behind me.

*****************************************

The bus lurches to a stop and I find myself once again wandering with the present. Lazily, my eyes move to the door for a moment, but I see nothing. This crinkled can has halted for air. Annoyed, my silver stars flick back to the window; eyelashes counting the falling rain.

Suddenly, the seat beside me buckles, and I turn with arms drawn. But my prediction of malevolence is countered. A girl, with a torrent  of black curls, is analyzing me with crystal eyes so light that blue barely tints her irises.  Her soft lips bunch in a crooked smile and there is a smudge of charcoal on her olive nose.

“You know, that stuff they give you does more bad than good. You’re smothered. I can feel it.” Her brow furrows with a learned edge I cannot help but deem genuine.

“…uh?…” I love how eloquent I am around beautiful women.. But it is when she let out an ungodly snort that I suddenly find my intellect again. My head is clear, yet my belly aches to laugh with her.

Her eyes keep tracing my features. I feel as though I am posing for a serious portrait there is a sneaking suspicion in the back of my mind that when the canvas is turned, her portrayal will not be of my skin.

“You said what they give me does bad… what are you talking about?” That wisdom behind her smile is baffling.

“The pills. The counselors. The community service. It’s all useless shit.” The curse slid off of her tongue like sweating honey. “Stars need to breathe ya know.” He black fringe of lashes winks. The lump in my throat drops.

“What did you just say?” My eyes want to burrow deep, but hers are shields. Pale and protecting. How did she know?

The bus stops again.

“Goodbye, Star,” she says with a smile, and her lips brush my cheek. I feel as I’ve been kissed by snow.

*************************************************

The seat feels barren without the burden of her weight. Heaven’s tears still veil my face, but they diverge in an imprint of her lips. I cannot help but lose my mind and rewind… “Stars need to breathe ya know.” ….. Yeah.. I know. I know perfectly well, and rain is not the only thing suffocating wonder. This town is a sedentary qualm… black smoke to toy terrorized lungs…