Picture of Fortune

Começar do início

For just a moment, she felt bad for him. She realized this quickly and instantly pushed the thought away. No, she shouldn't even feel that. Presently, she didn't know the whole story, and it would be a poor move on her part to give into how torn Drem appeared at that moment.

Granted, she couldn't actually see his expression or anything, but it was just the way that he never moved his gaze from that picture. Mumbling at herself to get a grip, she sat down on the floor and began to examine the contents of the second box.

As for Drem, he was pondering why Nathan still had this photo. Was it because they were children at the time, and Nathan still enjoyed his memories of their childhood days? If so, why hadn't his little doe found more pictures of Nathan and him when they were children? Did Nathan only keep this one because of the cowl? It did cover his face, meaning that Nathan wouldn't have to really look at his friend's features.

If that were the case, Nathan was worse than he thought. It would've been better if Nathan had disposed of the image. This was more of an insult if those facts were true. His friend couldn't even look at his actual appearance, so his friend decided to just hold onto the only picture where his face was hidden.

Despite this, the photo did still represent a pleasant memory. That Halloween had been a good one, and they had retrieved an abundance of candy that evening. He even had told a few fortunes that evening for some of the adults handing out candy. The adults had played along and laughed at some of things that he had stated, thinking it all a child's joke.

Unbeknownst to them, all of those fortunes were true. They were probably shocked when they happened just as he told them that they would. Of course, he only told of the positive ones back then. Nathan would reprimand him otherwise.

Still, it had been fun to see the looks of disappear fall onto the countenances of the individuals that he told fortunes of negativity to. Their frowns and looks of worry would morph into ones of fake laughter, as they thought him to merely be messing around with them. A pity that he couldn't read fortunes anymore after the incident; it would give him insight into what would happen with his little doe.

Dropping the picture, he made his way back over to the doe and sat close to her. She jumped a little when she noticed him. A grin tugged at the corners of his lips, while he leaned his head against her side. To this a sigh escaped her lips, and a groan followed it, yet she didn't push him away. By now, though, she knew better not to go against his actions.

Even though that image portrayed a cheerful time in his relationship with Nathan, the present was more important to him. Right beside him was his little doe, whom was perfectly gorgeous in his eyes. She was steadily caving into him, and she would completely give into him eventually. A doe couldn't outlast the hunter forever. No, she would make a mistake or several, and she would come to him.

His eyes looked up to her, and he adored the expression on her face. Her brows were furrowed in concentration, her lips were pursed in slight irritation and her eyes were filled with determination. Personally, though, he wished for her to focus not so much on the past. He wanted her to have her attention on the present with him. That's what mattered, and he craved for her to only think about him, not his past relationship with Nathan.

Nathan no longer needed to be in the picture. He wasn't important. Only his little doe was. For now, however, he would let her delve into the past. She clearly wanted the whole story; she desired answers to her questions, which were probably many. Maybe, he would be kind enough to tell her some things a few days before the two weeks were up.

Directing his attention away from her stunning face, he looked to the box that she was emptying. From what he could tell there wasn't anything important in there: just some old blankets that looked worn out beyond repair. Nathan was most likely keeping them because they held some memory value.

Eventually, she put the items back in and went to grab the next box. This process continued for awhile. No more of the boxes unveiled anything of use to her search. It was incredibly easy to read how frustrated she was, especially since she grumbled continually throughout the process.

Looking to the shelves, he saw that there were five boxes left. Like all the others, the first two didn't produce any results. The third held a picture of Nathan blushing. This image depicted something a little more valuable to the doe's investigation, yet she wouldn't know that unless she knew what had specifically happened on that day.

Frankly, it didn't come as a surprise that Nathan had kept that picture. It was the first day that he had encountered the distraction after all. He had begun to tease his friend and took a picture of the blushing antique collector. Of course, this was just to keep up appearances, as he was incredibly jealous on that day. He did hold back his jealously for a time, however.

The doe set the image aside and loaded the other items back into the box. She moved onto the fourth box and opened its lid. As soon as she pulled out the first item, he froze. He slowly glanced up to his little doe and saw her confusion. Her eyes met his, and she raised an eyebrow.

"So, either Nathan had a girlfriend at some point, or you two really liked to dress up secretly," she voiced, holding up a fuchsia dress.

A chuckle would have escaped his lips if he wasn't worried. So, Nathan had kept some of the distraction's things, even the first dress that he had bought her. It was a simple satin gown that had been for their first date to an auction house. Before the distraction, he had usually gone with Nathan to some of those auctions. The memories pissed him off, but he had to remind himself that only his little doe mattered now.