Chapter 11 - Rough

Start from the beginning

"I don't know, does she fall for pranks like this?"

"It's not a prank, ok?"

"Why don't you just talk to her?"

"This was what her sister advised."

"Richard," Lei shook her head and pulled him to a bench to sit. "You took the advice of a 17-year-old. What wisdom can she offer you? This is a high school level tactic, come on."

"I've done everything, Lei. I've been patient with her, waiting for her to be ready. I dropped hints, I've been aggressive.........this is my last ditch effort. The ball is in her court, to be honest. But it looks like she doesn't want to budge."

"Maybe she doesn't really care that much, you have to see that as a possibility, Rich."

"I don't want to believe that. I know she has feelings for me."

"Look, whatever the result, I'm here for you, ok?"

Lei took his hand in hers and squeezed, not knowing that someone was watching them from behind.

Dei wiped her tears hurriedly and went back inside the library. It was her fault, she brought this upon herself and could not blame him for turning to someone else.

-----

She couldn't take their time apart anymore and decided to take matters into her hands. She drove one night to Richard's place to make amends. This was a risk she was taking, in her mind, he had already replaced her. But she just wanted to talk and clear the air, she wasn't hoping for anything romantic between them.

She rang the bell several times and waited for him to open the door but got no response. His car was in the driveway and there was no other car around, so she was sure he was alone. She tried the door and was surprised to find it open.

Dei entered, her heart thudding. What if there was a woman with him? She was afraid of what she might see. And then she saw him, his long, lithe form sprawled on the couch. He seemed to be sleeping, there was a half-filled bottle of vodka on the table and an empty glass.

"Jay?"

She sat beside him, looking at him longingly. She missed him badly, and couldn't resist touching him. Her hand caressed his cheek, his eyes slowly opened. He stilled the movement of her hand and kissed her palm. She noticed his temperature was warm, his hand clammy. He was nursing a fever.

"Were you drinking?"

"Just enough to fall asleep. Been having trouble getting enough sleep."

"Are you hungry? Have you eaten dinner?"

"No.......not hungry. Dei....I missed you.'

"I missed you too, Jay. I'm sorry for raising my voice last time."

He got up and groaned, raising a hand to his forehead.

"Can we just forget about what happened and start over? I know I promised to wait, Dei. I will keep that promise."

"Ssshhhh. Just focus on getting better now, ok? We'll talk once you feel better. I promise."

"I want to kiss you right now."

Their faces were close, she felt his hot breath on her cheek, and for a second, it crossed her mind that she could catch the bug that made him sick if they kiss. But she missed him badly too and closed her eyes as she moved closer to fasten her mouth on his.

His legs shifted and pulled her closer till she was on his lap straddling him. The taste of his mouth was heavenly, she'd never been kissed as thoroughly as this, or touched as achingly tender on her face. His hand cradled the back of her head, making her rest on the crook of his other arm, while his other hand slid inside the band of her joggers, caressing the smooth skin of her hip.

Her arms wrapped around his neck and pulled him closer, till her body was straining against his. He groaned and roamed his hands over her back underneath her tank top, and moved his lips to plant kisses on her jaw and neck.

"Dei.......I love you."

"Jay, I----"

The sound of glass shattering made them break away from each other. Dei turned to see the same girl holding his hand that day she saw him in the library. She was looking at them as though shocked, until she suddenly bent awkwardly to get the broken pieces of glass on the floor.

"I......I'm sorry, Jay. I took a while in the drug store, the line was long and I didn't know you had company...." She babbled on, unable to look at them both.

Dei quickly stood from his lap and got her bag to run out of his house. She felt like crying but controlled herself, not wanting to show them her weakness.

"Get better, Jay. Goodbye."

"Dei....wait."

She rushed out and shook off his hand on her arm. She heard his steps following her and ran.

"Ouch!" Lei yelled as a shard of glass cut her thumb. Richard was momentarily immobilized, in a quandary between the two women, who should he attend to first? In the end, he ran after Dei, calling at her as she got into her car and drove away. Dei still caught his face as it twisted in pain at seeing her go, but she was eager to leave, unable to think straight.

She drove like a madwoman, adamant to wipe away the doubts in her mind. God, help me to stop overthinking and make these painful conclusions. But her mind already worked it out. This was probably what Diane felt when Ron was kissing her, that time Dei came upon them. This is how shameful it feels to be at the receiving end of someone's attention, when that someone is already dating another girl.

She was embarrassed to become what she hated back then.